Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Pregnancy for Dogs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
will

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Pregnancy for Dogs Reply with quote

I'm really sorry for some of the metaphors I am about to use. I am trying to be as detailed and as clean as possible.

Another dog tried to mount my dog and the owner just stood there like a fly on the wall. The dog tried to mount her from behind and I pulled my dog away all in the space of a couple seconds. I noticed that (despite how disgusting it was) that the dog then "spooged" out of its lipstick. I don't think it entered her. It was about two months ago that she was on heat.

So the questions are:

Can a dog get pregnant when between heats?

Do you think my dog is pregnant?

What is the best procedure for this situation?

PS. I was told that I should get them spayed between heat seasons at the 3 month mark as that is the minimum exactly between seasons

Also if you guys disagree then let me know.
shirley c
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vet told me the best time to get them spayed is 12 wks after their season, so I would say thats correct.
Your bitch wont be pregnant, they have to be in heat, they mostly have to tie, tho im not sure about that but I think it highly unlikely your bitch was caught
marcella

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will ............ it's male dogs I have and I'm not that informed on bitches. But as far as I am aware they can only get pregnant over a certain numbers of days during their season. If she wasn't in season when that happened then she will be perfectly fine. Very Happy

As for having them spayed ............ I'll let someone else answer that for you. Very Happy
Lindy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will your dog won't be pregnant they would have to have tied and she would have had to be inseason and at the right time in her season to get pregnant, I have two bitch's Dora and Lizzy the JRT's they are mother and daughter I started breeding this year for the first time and have read up on it loads, if you want a good referance book I would suggest you get "The Book of the Bitch" by J.M Evans & Kay White, a great book that will keep you right about you dogs throughout her life.
shirley c

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I forgot about that book, its great, when Allan bred Moya this was his bible and managed to help Moya deliver 9 lovley puppies
Lindy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley I was put onto it by a breeder down the St who swears by it and I have to agree it's a really good book to have if you have bitches, especially if you are breeding ikt really explaines everything you need to know. Which reminds me I have to wash Dora before we go out to get any of the season smell left on her away.
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitches are fertile for around 3 weeks from the start of their season.

If you wish to have your dog spayed, and she has already had a season, it''s recommended that you wait 3 months after the start of the season. Typically, dogs have 2 seasons a year, one every 6 months. If you have her spayed half way between seasons, it will reduce the risk of losing too much blood during the operation.
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will,

If your dog got "caught" 2 months ago, and if she got pregnant, then she's only about a week away from having puppies! However, it would be very obvious if she was carrying, due to her mood, size and eating habbits etc. If you haven't noticed any changes like this, then she's probably not expecting. You would also see signs of restlessness in her about a week to ten days before she was due to whelp.

Bitches in season are a magnet for dogs.....dog can come for miles to seek out your bitch if she's in season.

If you don't breed or show, I suggest you have her spayed.
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...

Can a dog get pregnant when between heats? - No

Do you think my dog is pregnant? - No

What is the best procedure for this situation? - If she is about 2 months out of season, then I would suggest having her spayed in around a month, but you really should speak to your vet now about it.
will

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help today guys. I need to just keep an eye on her and hopefully nothing happens. How long is a dog pregnant for. Is it 8 weeks or something?
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will wrote:
Thanks for all your help today guys. I need to just keep an eye on her and hopefully nothing happens. How long is a dog pregnant for. Is it 8 weeks or something?

Usually 9 weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: