Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Excersising a new puppy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elaine
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Excersising a new puppy Reply with quote

Smile I know when I got the boys I was told because they were gonna be big dogs not to over exercise them by the breeder and my vet, the rule of thumb was 5 minutes for every month old they are, I stuck to this rigidly as I did'nt want to compromise they're legs or anything, when I was at the vet he also told me not to allow them to walk up the stairs willy nilly as he knew of a labrador who got put to sleep very young because he had been allowed to run up and down the stairs playing with the children and that resulted in hip displacia and bad elbows...I was given a bit of advice from a wolf hound breeder that I know who said if the front paws are turning out when they are sitting this is an early indication of over excersise and if the back legs bow this is another early indication, they can also develop flat feet if over excersised. Just wondered any ones thoughts on the subject ?
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For large breeds I always say that they should not be over exercised. It's something we are very aware of having owned GSDs for 20years especially as they are prone to displacia and joint problems. That is another reason we like to keep our boys lean and not over weight as this can only add to the problem.

It's easy to say 'oh he has tons of energy another 10 minutes won't do him any harm!' but in the long run you can be building up problems for them in the coming years (or months as in some cases).

When either of ours were young pups 12 - 16 weeks, we would take them out for anywhere between 10 - 20 minutes. Most of the time it was nothing more than a couple of minutes in the garden for toilet training purposes.
Only when they had grown considerably and began to mature did we up the walking time but it rarely got above 30 minutes.

That was back in the days before Lindy had us hiking up mountains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shocked
Fiona
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We often leave Jake at home while excersising Libby and Star. The glen is the biggest walk he does and if he does the glen then he comes on no local walks. Its only now he is over 4 months we have up'd his excersise a little.

Jake is a strange puppy, he doesn't run around mad and walks to heal 99% of the walk so I'm not worried about taking him out a little longer.
Elaine
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake is adorable such a quite contented pup.
I had'nt even considered the excersise thing till I got the boys it was only then I realised what damage I could have done to my other dogs in the past, my GS was very like Jake was always at my side, she used to go every where with me from 6 weeks old, would'nt get away with that this day n' age.
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiona wrote:

, he doesn't run around mad and walks to heal 99% of the walk

so he does ............. I've just realised that. He plods along at your feet most of the time. Laughing
Elaine
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was asking Fi about that last night cause I'm really not sure what to expect when I add a wee girl to my equasion
Fiona

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing @ Marcella

Well with Star bar as a role model what can you expect! Laughing
shirley c

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star is ok till Pixel appears Rolling Eyes she terrorises him Sad she is so rough with him and growls and barks with her hackles up, but does nothing, she is all mouth but she scares a lot of the smaller dogs with that act Rolling Eyes
Fiona

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star needs to learn not to act like a rabbit then Laughing
suzanne l
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a difficult one, all puppies should be minimally exercised, small and frequent, but especially large breeds, can be terrible to their joints, and ive seen it happen, its horrible, dogs end up in pain 24/7, theres no way to move without being sore. people find it hard because the puppies are so cute and playful and i know lots of people who just end up walking them anyways, but in the long run its a lot easier if you restrict them at start. the only thing with the stairs is that when brodie eventually came to use them, he couldnt figure it out, poor boy Embarassed and hes meant to be an intelligent breed!
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake is a strange puppy, he doesn't run around mad and walks to heal 99% of the walk so I'm not worried about taking him out a little longer.[/quote]

Hi Fiona,

I noticed he was a quiet wee thing. Just likes to observe the world go by Smile Handsome with it though Very Happy
Fiona

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deborah Hamilton wrote:
Jake is a strange puppy, he doesn't run around mad and walks to heal 99% of the walk so I'm not worried about taking him out a little longer.

Hi Fiona,

I noticed he was a quiet wee thing. Just likes to observe the world go by Smile Handsome with it though Very Happy[/quote]

And he sooooo knows it Debbie Laughing
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It think it depends on the kind of exercise - a 1 mile walk is not as bad as 1 mile running flat out. We've tried to be careful with Otto, but it's hard when you have a bouncy dog to stop him bouncing. We tried to stick to the 5 mins per month but he has had a few longer ones at the weekend, but we'll walk him once that day rather than twice.

I've tried to keep him off the stairs and to stop sharp changes in direction - not always successfully. And to get him to kip a lot. He's nearly 7 months now, but won't tax him too much in his first year ie no hills!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: