Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Rufus the ruffian
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheryl
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coby loved Rufus tonight, ive never seen him act like that with a puppy he never gets the chance as keano always scares the puppies away!!!!

I ended up letting my two off the lead tonight (although I prob shouldnt have) and there were no problems!!

Guess tonight was a good night for the boys, lets see what tomorrow brings! ha ha ha
Lindy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crates are great, both of mine are well used to them and DOra just goes into hers to get away from Lizzy, they both sleep in theres overnight and Lizzy still get the door closed over as she cries if you don't Shocked During the day the just wander in and out but to be honest the sleep all morning till at leat 1pm then they want to paly for a while and go back to bed again.
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Fiona"]Have you tried crating him when you are out?

We always had Mishka in a crate until recently. She enjoyed having her own space and we enjoyed knowing that she was safe when we couldn't be with her.

Definitely recommended.
Lorna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My beagles loved their crate. They'd go off into it whenever they wanted to and it was their favourite place to sleep when their humans were out. Basil doesn't like it. But he is not at all destructive. If he were I would persuade him to like it.
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for so much advice and some laughs guys!

Edith and Suzanne, it is especially nice to hear from other mini schnauzer owners! I know that I am going to have many happy times with Rufus, and I can't wait for him to meet Mandy and Jodie! (He has already had the pleasure of Maya and Katie!)

Ah, I wasn't too scared of all the damage tales - I laughed and was happy that I am not alone! lol!

He has been quite well behaved this weekend, his one let down was running away from me at Drumpellier Loch to play with another dog, and me falling on my bum as I ran to grab him! Ah, puppies, you gotta love them!

Oh..Sheryl, I missed Coby being off the lead...Rufus would have loved a tussle with him I think! Though I couldn't get him away from the wee Pomeranian puppy, they just wanted to roll around and not walk!
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've crated Otto from day one and he's never been left unsupervised out of it until recently. How do they know what to do unless you are there to correct bad behaviour and reward good. And it has worked, he's only tried one chew of the table leg and a bit of digging.

Not that he was in it all the time I hasten to add, just when no one was able to keep an eye on him, even out the window. He gets more freedom now he can be trusted more, but still in there while we're out or at night.

He pulls a "phone the SSPCA, I'm being abused" look, but he doesn't fuss when he's in there and goes in of his own accord when it suits him, so hardly a torture chamber.

But we did feel a bit guilty for putting him in there, and over compensated for it, so he learned to go hairy mental when let out, demanding attention and we were giving him it. So we've had to start ignoring him until he calms down.

He can spot a soft touch from a mile off, but is more mischievous than destructive.

Laughing
Nicola

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:
We've crated Otto from day one and he's never been left unsupervised out of it until recently. How do they know what to do unless you are there to correct bad behaviour and reward good. And it has worked, he's only tried one chew of the table leg and a bit of digging.

Not that he was in it all the time I hasten to add, just when no one was able to keep an eye on him, even out the window. He gets more freedom now he can be trusted more, but still in there while we're out or at night.

He pulls a "phone the SSPCA, I'm being abused" look, but he doesn't fuss when he's in there and goes in of his own accord when it suits him, so hardly a torture chamber.

But we did feel a bit guilty for putting him in there, and over compensated for it, so he learned to go hairy mental when let out, demanding attention and we were giving him it. So we've had to start ignoring him until he calms down.

He can spot a soft touch from a mile off, but is more mischievous than destructive.

Laughing

Suzanne,

Sounds to me like you're doing a good job of the crate training. It worked a treat with Molly aswell, she had a go of chewing the table leg and some digging aswell...however, she did chew through a thin wire when she was around 12 weeks old-ish - our fault, I know. Luckily it was the old intenet dial up wire which was disconnected, we had broadband then.

Keep up the good work! Smile
Nicola

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and once she tore up a couple of newspapers and a magazine! She was only weeks old at the time then too, again, my granny's fault for leaving them where she could get them! Laughing She was that pleased with herself for doing it...this wee white thing in amongst a sea of shredded paper. Rolling Eyes Laughing That was when the name "Molly Mischief" stuck, although she isn't too mischevous now! Only on occasions!

That was the only destructful things she did though. Thankfully! Wink
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't get him to stop jumping up on people though - driving me mad. He does it less often with strangers, but with us it's bad.

They are people pleasers as a breed so doesn't take much of a rebuke generally and hate being ignored - tried both but he still does it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: