Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
How often do you feed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two get a tablespoonful of Burns in the morning, after their morning walk, a bit of cheese or chicken at lunchtime, after their lunchtime walk. and one small meal at teatime, either before or after their teatime walk, the time also varies by round about an hour. Roxy gets a bit more Burns than Molly.

They get a couple of biscuits for their supper, after they've had their last toilet break.
Suzanne H
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otto is nearly 7 months and has been on 3 but we've just moved him to two a day simply because he was hank marvin in the morning. Same amount. He seems to be happier.
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeso, when I think about it, mine don't get much to eat at all. Shocked But then they are small, and they're not underweight or overweight, so their feeding amounts seems to suit them fine.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eleanor wrote:

I read recently that bones should not be given on an empty stomach. This is something that I was not aware of.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Eleanor

Not heard that Eleanor, where did you read it?
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
Jeeso, when I think about it, mine don't get much to eat at all. Shocked But then they are small, and they're not underweight or overweight, so their feeding amounts seems to suit them fine.

We didn't change the amount ie he still gets 500g, just in 2 meals rather than 3.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guidlines are just that.......a guide , every dog is different and you DO know your dogs needs better than anyone else. Trust your own judgement....too many people have a vested interest in having you believe that other people know more about what is best for your dog than you do......this is simply not true Mad

If it is underweight ........feed more..............overweight feed less and up the dogs excersice........I never weigh food and can't remember ever doing so and there fore could not tell you how much itrecommendednded I should feed
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
Guidlines are just that.......a guide , every dog is different and you DO know your dogs needs better than anyone else. Trust your own judgement....too many people have a vested interest in having you believe that other people know more about what is best for your dog than you do......this is simply not true Mad

If it is underweight ........feed more..............overweight feed less and up the dogs excersice........I never weigh food and can't remember ever doing so and there fore could not tell you how much itrecommendednded I should feed

Exactly, John.

If I was to feed my dogs the guidelines for feeding on bags of food, they would surely be obese! Shocked Also, bearing in mind that the guidelines on bags and packets of food don't take into account other food the dog is getting.

I also never measure food, but they are not at all overfed - probably under, according to the guidelines on the bag! Shocked Rolling Eyes
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to keep my dogs lean..you can just see their ribs ripple when they move.........a canine six pack Laughing
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
I like to keep my dogs lean..you can just see their ribs ripple when they move.........a canine six pack Laughing

A canine six pack. Rolling Eyes

Laughing
shirley c

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines get once a day and as John says, I just up it or reduce as i take into consideration how the dogs are looking
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogs love to relax after a big feed........I vary the amount they get ......sometimes a smaller than average meal and sometimes larger than average............it always balances out in the end and the variety of amount and content of each meal stops things getting too boring for the dogs.
Lindy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree John I prefer my dogs lean which is why I've reduced doras food to 150g as she had put on 1kg and on such a wee dog that really shows and I don't want to put her at risk of health problems so she is on a diet of sorts till she gets down to 7kg then I'll have a look at her and see what I think as I really should be able to see her waist and ribs, she gets lots of exercise so it really is a question of quanitiy of food for her i have to weigh it as it's such a small amount and I can't guess it.
Eleanor
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eleanor wrote:

I read recently that bones should not be given on an empty stomach. This is something that I was not aware of.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Not heard that Eleanor, where did you read it?

John

I read it in a dog nutrition book I picked up in Canada last week (didn't buy the book unfortunately), you know when you go into a good book store, pick up half a dozen interesting books and get lost for a while (bliss)

Sorry I didn't think to write down the name, in fact I only remembered about it after reading this thread

Eleanor

Eleanor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: