Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
pulling on the lead
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel hated the halti. Sad We thought it would be a good option to try and stop him pulling but he would not come to get his lead on to go for a walk when he saw us lift the halti. Confused I'm sure if a dog responds to it then it's a good tool, but when your dog doesn't stop pulling even with it on, it's horrible!!!!!!!!!! Their head gets pulled to the side, the straps cut into their eyes and they simply look like they are torturing the dog. Diesel actually snapped the halti Shocked He'd also do his utmost to get it off. This is something I see over and over again, dogs rubbing their faces on the ground and clawing at their face to get it off. Sad And the thing that used to annoy me most was that some people thought it was a muzzle and would ask if he was dangerous because he had a muzzle on! Confused

It's like everything else, what works on one dog doesn't work on another. But ideally you work with your pup and teach it not to pull from the word go and there would be no need for Haltis, gentle leaders or prongs or whatever.......................... in an ideal world! Smile But when you have a pig headed 6 stone dog with the strength of an ox, you may need them! Smile
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
It's like everything else, what works on one dog doesn't work on another. But ideally you work with your pup and teach it not to pull from the word go and there would be no need for Haltis, gentle leaders or prongs or whatever.......................... in an ideal world! Smile But when you have a pig headed 6 stone dog with the strength of an ox, you may need them! Smile

That's all true, Marcella.

A good fitting flat collar was all that was ever needed for Molly. With Roxy, however, I use combi-collars, both with the chain loop and the material loop. They work well with Roxy and the seem to fit well and suit her shape of neck. She wear a fine flat collar though aswell that have her tags on it - I don't use this with a lead on her.

For Scruffts though i've got her a flat dark brown leather collar and lead set! Seeing as it's a special occassion. Smile
amandawhitelaw
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the feed back it is most helpful. I think i may be asking to much of her yet. I will persevere with the treats and encouragement. I just hope my hands can keep up with the biting my fingers off.

Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: