Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Diarrhea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh that's good! Smile Can't wait to see her. Smile
Mary
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that Holly is OK - hopefully fully recovered very soon.
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad Holly is ok. Smile

Just remember that Spaniels can have 'funny' ears with regards of wax build up - some Spaniel owners call it 'Spaniel Ears'. As their ears are floppy and quite hairy, the airflow isn't so good around the inside of the ear, hair can build up quite quickly so it can get moist and it can smell horrific. Shocked It's more common in Cockers and Springers, but it's very possible for Cavaliers to have it.

What you should get into the habit of doing is plucking the hair from the inside of her ears on a regular basis, probably every 3 - 4 weeks. Thornit Ear Clear is brilliant stuff. You only need a tiny pinch to put inside the ear. Leave it for around 5 minutes then use your thumb and index finger together to pull out the hair that's inside the ear canal. Put your fingers close to root of the hair and pull quickly and firmly - it doesn't bother most dogs and won't nip if done regularly. It is a necessary procedure for Spaniels.

If you find she has a build up of wax inside her ears, put a pinch of Thornit Ear Clear inside the ear canals once every day for a week - it will clear up the wax. I put a pinch in my Westies ears once every 3 weeks or so. Remember that wax in a dogs ears can be black in colour - don't confuse it with an ear infection.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reassuring to hear Ashley............they can make us worry!

Interesting to hear the difference of opinion regarding the ears............but then Mrs Lawrie's name is above the door so I guess she may have something to gain by telling you the ears are a problem even if they are not........cynical.......me.......never.

I must add that We have used Lawrie's for 13 years now but as with doctors I question everything!

3 years ago Marcella attended the doctor in pain..breathing difficulties..........diagnosed as a pulled muscle or possible blood clot..........45 minutes later she was admitted to Monklands hospital suffering from acute pneumonia and pleurisy Shocked like I say question everything and follow your own gut instincts...they will usually be right. You will know when something is seriously wrong!
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post removed - danger of libel!!! Sad
kirsty
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You take vets how you find them. I have been with the vets in condorrat for over 20 years, the practice has changed hands and at a recent visit I was so angry that I changed vets to Lawrie's and Saw Mrs Lawrie, she was absolutely fantastic with bob and I left with complete confidence in her and will continue seeing her until if and when she lets me down.
suzanne l
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear shes ok ashley, a wee tip, get her used to you touching and handling her ears just now so that any problems in the future you'll be able to give her drops and examine her. nothing worse than a dog with sore ears that isnt used to them being touched, they can be very painful, and then we go to examine them = not a happy dog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: