Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Dog not eating?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaelle
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: feeding two dogs Reply with quote

In reply to John's input in October stating that competition for food is good for any dog, I have to disagree.
I have found that while Rosie was the only one in the house, she would graze depending how she was feeling but since Cuthbert has come along if she stops for a breather or a drink he'll be right in there, quick as lightning almost inhaling it and although if she is up to it she'll scold him he doesn't generally pay much attention unless she really gets seriously annoyed with him. Most times though competition for food
does her no good , she would rather let him get it than get in an argument about it. I think it all depends on the dog's character. It won't necessarily make them change their eating habits, I have found it just makes Rosie a bit more reluctant to eat in case he's going to breenge in and nick it. I like many others have to try to keep them apart at meal times, for both their sakes.
Gaelle read
Lorna
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mum's last GSD fasted herself every Sunday. It was her choice.
My Beagles, are beagles, i.e. dustbins. Every scrap of anything offered, or not offered but accessible, is hoovered.
Basil wouldn't eat when I got him. He had to be hand fed and persuaded to eat each morsel. Now he eats OK, but if a Beagles gets to his food he just moves aside and lets her eat it. They must be fed separately. Competition doesn't work for my big whoos. Rolling Eyes
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaelle,
despite what we humans think....this is how a pack operates.....the higher ranking pack member gets the pick of the food.
Sam
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The highest rank gets pick o food, but cubs/pups and beta ranks still take their chances an snatch bits o food an go unchastized by the alpha high ranks often.

Its all about attitude really init, but at the end o the day you can not be alpha o nothing, so a blind eye is turned often to pups/cubs an females in whelp taking their chances an snatching food.

Keep them separate if your bitch eat better that way.

Sam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: