Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Dogs and ferries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ros
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Dogs and ferries Reply with quote

Hi
Has anyone taken their dog on a ferry? We're heading to N.Ireland in a few weeks with Jake and I don't know what to expect leaving him in the car for so long - sea sickness? Confused Apparently there are kennels on the ferry on a first come first served basis - has anyone used these?
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we used to take my mus dogs to tiree when we were little and they were fine i think as long as you do check on them they will be fine. but i think that would be good if they had a kennel on the ferry they would get to stretch there leg's that is after they have found there sea leg's lol Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only ever on a short trip - Gourock to Dunoon! He was fine! dog
Janice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went from Stranraer to Belfast a couple of years ago. We'd booked a slower cheaper ferry but we were lucky each way and they put us on the Sea cat. There was a car park very near the ferry so we stopped there and took Sam for a good walk first but this wasn't so easy at the Belfast end. Too busy and we had a caravan.
He travelled with no trouble. I think it must have been like being left in a big multi-storied car park, dark and quiet. The car deck was locked so we couldn't go back to check on him let alone take him out. I was glad I'd left a bowl of water. However the trip was short, well under two hours and very smooth.
Hope you enjoy it as we did. We'd certainly do it again. Laughing Laughing
Lindy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take Dora and Lizzy to my parents in Rothesay all the time and to my hubbies family in Lewis a 3hrs ferry trip, I would def try and get in the kennels and even see if it is possible, weather permitting to get out on deck for a little walk (just take some bags incase of accident) def a good idea to get a little walk in before getting on the ferry juts to get a business done and a little exercise. You will all be fine and myabe your dog will associate the ferry with good fun on your holiday.

Fingers crossed for you,

Also you could try the herbal calming tablets you can get at pet shops, you need tp start giving them a coulple of days before but they seem tio work anytime I've used them.
Ros
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your comments. I feel more assured knowing your dogs have been fine on the ferry. Will probably use the herbal calming tablets. Looking forward to our trip. He'll get to meet my mum and dad's dog too. we'll go on plenty of walks in the country and he'll get to meet the other animals on the farm!
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ros - sounds like he will have a ball! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: