Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Sunday Roast Anyone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lindy
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love roats dinners too, I occasionally do a roast Chicken, roast pots, caulifour and brocolli, cheese sauce and nice gravy. Kerry roast chicken is dead easy just make sure you take it out a couple of times and pour the jucies over it to keep it nice and moist also if your not sure about roast totties just part boil them and stick them in with the chicken to roast, I'm deal lazy I leave the skin on part boil them and the stick them in with the roast. Also if your checking to see if it's cooked use a fork and pierce the breats, thighs and drumstcks and if the jucies on all run clear then it's cooked. Use the left overs for a curry or similar the next day then you've got your moneys worth out of the Free Range
Allan Campbell
Trainer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol ...lindy maybe im just tight and a cheapskate but i gert yet another meal after the curry or pie ... you got a big central carcase to make soup with .. chicken noodle soup is so easy to make from scratch im surprised more dont do it Laughing ... 3 meals from one good bird .. cant beat it
Lorna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to hate my menu.
Starters -Italian style salad - John has anchovies with it, I don't.
Saffron rice with crispy sesame Quorn pieces and homemade vegetable curry and homemade pakora.
Boozy trifle for afters.
geri carroll

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: sunday roast Reply with quote

you make me feel bad as we only had fresh soup, baguettes, brie and pate for dinner.
we were having roast pork for a change, but as i didnt get the time to prepare between the walk and going swimming we will have it tomorrow with veg and apple and potato mash.
a good tip for roast potatoes is-after par boiling drain off water and then give them a really good shake in the pot. this makes the potato surface all irregular and able to take up more goose fat. the result is crispy on outside and soft and fluffly inside. this only works if you peel the potatoes lindy! try it next time and if impressed you can invite me to dinner and save me from soup and sandwiches.

Geri
Janis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no guilt allowed here geri!!!!!!!!!!! sounds lovely and as a working mum you need a rest rather than over a hot stove preparing what some kids won't eat anyway!
oh and just love the avatar of buddy! he looks such a wee rocker!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
Lorna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geri sounds great to me. Crispy bread and brie - yummy.
Lindy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan Campbell wrote:
lol ...lindy maybe im just tight and a cheapskate but i gert yet another meal after the curry or pie ... you got a big central carcase to make soup with .. chicken noodle soup is so easy to make from scratch im surprised more dont do it Laughing ... 3 meals from one good bird .. cant beat it

not at all Allan i always make soup out of the carcase too
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: sunday roast Reply with quote

geri carroll wrote:

a good tip for roast potatoes is-after par boiling drain off water and then give them a really good shake in the pot.
Geri

Yip. I par boil them for 10 minutes then drop them into a colander. Let them drain then toss them about in it until they are all roughed up! Then into a roasting pan of hot goose fat! (Or duck fat which is better but not as easy to get!)

oh I'm hungry now ............ a slice of wholemeal toast on it's way!
Sam
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good thing about goose fat is that after you drain off the excess from the goose roasting, you can freeze it for another day.
I do a big roast every other sunday, with about 5 different veg an roast tatties an my home made Yorkshire puddings. I use Jamie olivers recipe with 3 eggs.

For a extra yummy tasting roast tatties throw a couple of whole Garlic cloves in to roast with them. It sounds disturbing and almost sacrilege to do this but by keeping the garlic cloves whole the effect is subtle an quite wonderful even to the most hardened traditionalist.
If you have any room left in with the roast tatties or have another roast pan you might want to try out the best roasted carrots recipe that an old yorkshire woman showed me to do.
Par boil your batons o cut carrots at the same time you do your tatties, drain then put in the roasting tin with half a chopped onion mixed amongst them, and sprinkle the carrots over with rosemary ( fresh if like me you grow it, or dried is fine) , spoon some o the roasting pan oil over them ( or olive oil will do) an roast at the same time as the tatties. Roasted carrots, with onions an rosemary come out the sweetest onions you ever did taste. you will never look at a boiled carrot again after eating them.

Im all hungry now.. Very Happy
Sam
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh, I've roasted my carrots before too ............... they ARE sweeter. Really tasty like that.

I love roast parsnips but I don't know what I do wrong as they are oftern a bit soggy Sad Love them with honey drizzled on them.

I cannot do roast beef Embarassed not for the life of me. I have no idea what I do wrong but the meat is NEVER tender. If I pot roast it, it comes out really tender but it's lost a lot of flavour Confused
Perhaps I need to speak to my wee butcher instead of buying Tesco beef!!!!!!!
Yorkshire pudding I LOVE! ............... ooh smothered in a good homemade gravy!
Janis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my parsnips come out soggy too but i still love them and i drizzle them with maple syrup!
Sam
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i do a joint of beef i wrap it in a parcel of tin foil, and add half a cup of water in the parcel, plus any herbs you want to add afor i roast it. That way it stays moist an roasts in its own juices too.

Make sure you don't over roast it too. a half decent size joint for 4 people needs only to cook for 2 an half hours wrapped in the foil to be cooked through, or less if you like it a bit pink. Start it off on gas mark 5 for the first hour an then nip it down to for the rest of the cooking time to gas mark 4. leave it to stand for 20/30 mins to rest the meat an it will carve better too.

You can add the left over meat juice to your gravy or put it in with your roast tatties for extra yum Smile

Sam
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right ............. I'm going to the butcher and asking him for a good joint to roast. (I make the mistake of always choosing really lean meat, I think that is half my problem!)
All this talk of beef, yorkshire pudding and roasted veg is making my mouth water. Confused
Lindy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just made a pot of lovely tomato soup very like minestrone but without the pasta or beans (more free soup) carrots, onions, garlic, peppers, savoy cabbage 2 tins of chopped toms and some tom puri, a pinch of sugar, couple of drops of tabasco and season .... so yummy I think I'll have a bowl now
Lorna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindy, you are making me hungry. The soup sounds great. I am definitely making some tomorrow. Actually I think I'll make some old fashioned broth. Barley is so good for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: