Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Leon: Skin Problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linsey
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Leon: Skin Problem? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Last week I trimmed Leon's belly hair after the Dollar Glendevon walk as he was really dirty and tuggy afterwards.

I noticed a few wee red marks on his tummy and I thought he'd maybe just got scratches from bushes or something when we were out and about...

Anyway, I've been keeping an eye on it and it went a bit scabby so I thought it was healing up, but I looked again tonight and I think it might be spreading, i don't know if I am imagining it...?

I just took a quick photo on Stevens mobile... it isn't the best, but see what you think - it is like two wee horseshoe shaped groups of red bits and scabs...

Also, under one of his "underarms" looks a bit red...

Not sure why - he has a couple of mattes, nothing bad, and his coat is clean... he's really just a bit stinky - but that's normal!

Am going to keep an eye on it this weekend and take it from there but any advice would be helpful... Might be important to note that it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all and he let's me touch it nae bother.

Thanks,

Lxxx
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linsey,
could the grit/salt be irritating him? His tummy is close to the ground Smile

Diesel always has problems with his feet itching at this time of year......he has been licking them constantly since we came back in tonight.

If Suzanne L comes on she may be able to offer some advice.
linsey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know... it looks like little cuts.

Well not cuts, but certainly broken skin or something... perhaps like when you pull a scab off too early if you know what I mean?

At first I was like surely I didn't cut him when i was trimming him, but i couldn't have - he'd have let out a yelp or something (and he was fine) and I'm always very careful anyway...

Although his fur was in a mess after the walk, it had been fine before that, so I don't think it could have been caused by poor coat condition... he gets a few tugs and mattes on his belly, but nothing that bad (i hope?)

I'm feeling a bit worried now, as he is really furry and I'm not able to check the rest of him to make sure he is OK.
linsey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i've just sussed it out...

all the places he has sores / redness are where the straps are sewn on the new jacket I bought him from tesco...

there are sort of raw / rough edges on the strap under his belly which sit pretty much where the scabby bits are and i could see where it might also cause his harness to rub his wee underarm area.

I reckon that is probably what it is and it fits in with the timescales... he didn't have it on the day we went to dollar, but he'd worn it the two days before that. I noticed it the night of the walk... then I thought it was clearing up (he wasn't out much for 5 days after the walk as he had the squits) then he got back out and now I've noticed it getting worse; and he is wearing the jacket again...

Poor wee lamb.

I will keep an eye on it and keep it clean and dry (and jacket free!) for the next few days... see how it goes.

Can you put savalon on a dog? or is there something else I could put on it to help it heal? Norma? Anyone?!

Lxxx
marcella

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, savlon or any antispectic cream works fine. We use Dettol spray to clean any wounds and then use TCP spray plaster which seals it and keeps germs and dirt out.
Works well. Smile
Lorna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use Aloe Vera. It help healing.
Lorna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It helps healing.
norma giannotti
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloe Vera Gel will help it also will give you a sample of the propolis cream, when I see you or you can pm me your address and I shall send it to you. Norma
kirsty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great news linsey, as a skin problem is a never ending nightmare for the dogs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: