Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
what to feed a puppy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerry
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: what to feed a puppy Reply with quote

hi, i was reading that some vegs like carrot and broccoli are good to give to dogs. but are they ok to give to puppies? he is just over 10 and a half weeks old now and was trying to see what treats we could use when training him and thats when i came accross carrots.
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carrots is a treat I used to give mine. Diesel didn't like them much but Murphy did.

Do him no harm at all! Very Happy
kerry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, i`ll try them tonight, as i read they are also good when he starts teething?
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah because carrots are quite hard. Keep them in the fridge so when you give him a chunk he can gnaw on it and it should sooth his gums a bit.
Another good teething tip is this.
Soak a clean rag or cloth in fresh water. Tie it in a knot then put it in the freezer. When it's frozen a puppy will happily chew on it. Very Happy This works well! Anything to stop them chewing your favourite furniture!
Fiona

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put your carrot in the fridge/freezer then its nice and cool for there mouth! thats what i did.
kerry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what other natrural food is good to supplement their dog food. Also does anyone use hills food i think it called, my friend is a vet and she says she can order me it at cost price. i`m asking around to see what food is best for a siberian husky. We got told that a performance diet is good but there are so many out there.
Fiona

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only use a performance diet for working dogs. I've never used hills but know that vets get a major commission from them, that's normally why the recommend them. But getting it at cost is good. I use raw for my two and they are great on it, full of life and in great condition.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure but i would imagine a performance diet will be high in protein which will him high as a kite!
Look at the topics on raw burns and natural. I'm not sure when you can start on these diets wee fed the boys pedigree until they were 3/4 months!!
I personally use burns but Fiona Kirsty and a few others use raw!!

x
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry, have a read through the several threads on feeding. Hills Science Plan is recommended by vets ....... because they're told to recommend that. No other reason. It's NOT the best dog food out there! In fact John will tell you is no good at all.
John has studied what goes into dog food quite thoroughly and because of his findings he took our dogs off a dry food diet (tins being the WORST!) and switched them to raw feeding.
If you prefer to feed dried/kibble then I think your 'safe' option is Burns.

But take your time and have a thorough read. If anything confuses you ask John. He's not here at the mo but he can certainly give you feeding advice.
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheryl is spot on. It's likely to be high in proteins and that you don't want. The dog will become hyper.
kerry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, oh i dont want a hyper dog Smile he has enought energy at the moment, cant wait for the day to take him out for a proper walk,2 weeks yesterday and he is ready for the big bad world Smile when is it you can start letting them have a bit more exercise, as the vet said to hold off as he is still developing, to stop him climbing stairs, and try not let him run around too much.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they told us that as well!!
I'm no expert but as long as your not taking them for hour walks 3 times a day! Because the boys had so much energy I used to just take them down the park and let them run about for 20/25 mins during the day and just a wee walk in morning and at night just 5/10 mins until they were about 7/8 months!
But there only Jack Russell's so there small I don't know about bigger dogs!!!
sorry
x
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it's better not to let them use stairs when they are so small. It's to protect their joints as their bones are still soft.
You can take him walks no problem, I think the vet is referring to a 3 mile hike!!!! It's just a case of using common sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: