Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Brushing Mylo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claire/Mark
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Brushing Mylo Reply with quote

Hey, does anyone have any tips on how a can get mylo to start behaving when I try to brush him? I constantly try to brush Mylo and it's a total fighting match... Even bride him with treats the hole way through it but he just seems to hate it.... Every time I have the brush in my hand he trys to eat it Confused any advice will be gr8. Very Happy
lynn 01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankfully Bubbles is a pure little girl when it comes to brushing. I just need to pick up the brush or comb and she practically sits on my lap wanting to be brushed. She actually gets upset if I stop
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aww good wee bubbles wish mylo could be more like her Very Happy
Margaret J
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when my two were pups i put their front paws up on a stool (know i use a chair as they are too big for the stool) and stood behind them this apparently is a dominant stance and shows the dogs you are boss Exclamation

i now even use the hoover to suck up all the flyaway fur that the brush misses its great and they stay still until I'm finished.

i always treat them at the end for their good behavior although i don't use food i throw a ball for them as this is much more fun for them.
Lindy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizzy is ok with brushing but Doras not so keen I do it when she is eating but might try Margarets idea. As for the hoover no chance my tow go menatks when it comes out Lizzy even trys to bite it, yet another issue I have to solve Mad
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my two LOVE getting groomed, Murphy in particular. In fact when they see us lift a comb they will try to push each other out of they way to get done first!!! Laughing We bought the hoover attachment from PAH and it was great, brushing them and hoovering them at the same time. But unfortunately Diesel ate it!!! I had left it sitting out and he saw it, got excited and picked it up to bring it to me to get hoovered, but his teeth went through it and it snapped!

It may be that Mylo finds it tickley ...... Diesel does Smile Try getting Mark to hold a chew and try to keep Mylo's attention while you groom him. Try it in short bursts, if you manage a minute stop then praise him. ..... just building it up from there.
Margarets suggestion is a good one too. That's worth a try.
But most of all, don't get stressed, don't shout at him and don't force him or he will never let you groom him! Smile Keep it calm and gentle and a positive experience for him.

......... if you can! Laughing Laughing

he just likes to do things the difficult way doesn't he! Very Happy
Ashley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied the thing Linsey told me about being aware when you say "good girl/boy".....

Before, I kept saying 'good girl' almost all the time to try and settle her, but realise I was kinda reinforcing the fidgity behaviour. Even more reinforcement came with treats.

Now, I wait until she's quite sleepy and brush her. If she fidgits, she gets nothing and I just say "No"... and when she stops, thats when I say 'good girl' and give her treats. She's definitely much better! But I do have to wait until she's sleepy before I creep up with the brush Shocked

Still doesnt like getting her bum hair trimmed though.... must pull sometimes! Ouchy! Shocked Laughing
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I share the pain!
I am scratched and bitten from trying to sort out Rufus's back legs and undercarriage last night!

I think that it must just take patience, I did not have it last night! Poor Rufie!
Nikki
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millie loves getting brushed as soon as the brush comes out she runs to the rug and lies down, but she will only let me brush her if anyone else comes near her she is off like a shot! Laughing Its there own faults they never bothered when she was young and now she is older she is only used to me so they can't get near her!! Shocked Laughing
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a grooming mit...has rubber bits on one side and a shiner bit on the other....less of an implement and works ok on shorter haired dogs. Treat it as a chance to get stroked, rather than "grooming"?

I also do it post walk as he used to getting towel dryed so he doesn't see it as any different.
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks every1 I will give them all a try and see how I get on Very Happy Mylo does like doing things the hard way Marcella Laughing Laughing Thanks every1 I shall let you know when Mylo loves to be groomed Laughing
Lorna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a hound glove. You are simply stroking Milo and he will feel as if he is being petted. The glove removes dead hair and most dogs find it soothing.

In the morning when dogs come for the first attention of the day I stroke them all over using the same strokes as I use for the brush. They like this experience and the become more willing to be groomed. It also helps rescue dogs to become accustomed to being touched everywhere. It is necessary to have the dog willing to be touched and groomed so you can spot anything wrong with them.

Gently does it seems to work for me. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: