Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Warning ! Flea & tick control!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carol
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 10 dogs, so my survey would determine that garlic given in appropriate quantities, to body weight and size,( and may I add that this is very small quantities) has worked for my dogs and I have not any fleas or ticks for years. They are all
still alive and kicking!.... and non of them have any side effects including sickness.

Yes, Garlic maybe part of the onion family, but we are talking very small amounts. We are not talking large onion here!
I would rather give my border collie a clove of garlic every week (spring, summer) that a dose of pesticide. One of the dogs from our training kept having seizures, the only thing that it could be pinned down to was Frontline, call it a coincidence if you like, but the dog has not had any more since they owner stopped using frontline. Obviously small dogs are more at risk.

However, I think that anyone who is unsure of the benefits should consult their vet! Smile
StuartW
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.petsbynature.com/Garlic.htm

Since I don't use Garlic as a medicine for Doogle I haven't read any of the original references but I would urge anyone using Garlic as a treatment to do so.

I think the gist of the article is that enough of anything toxic (and garlic is toxic to dogs) will cause harm, so make sure you know exactly how much you are giving your pet!

My Granny used to feed her small dog chocolate and tea.. was lively enough whenever I saw it.. you wouldn't want to do it to your dog though Wink

The original post about Frontline related to a tiny little dog.. I wonder what the 'safe' garlic dosage be for the same dog?

Quote:
I have 10 dogs, so my survey would determine that garlic given in appropriate quantities, to body weight and size,( and may I add that this is very small quantities) has worked for my dogs and I have not any fleas or ticks for years. They are all
still alive and kicking!.... and non of them have any side effects including sickness.

You have to get fleas to have fleas. Not all dogs are flea-bags Laughing
carol
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StuartW wrote:

Quote:

You have to get fleas to have fleas. Not all dogs are flea-bags Laughing

Yes thats right not all dogs are flea bags, however we are not just talking fleas, ticks are very rife in most woodland/ fern areas and they are not fussy who they attach themselves too! I would say that some of my dogs who live outside are more prone to getting worms/ fleas than say dogs that live indoors, however any dog that comes into close contact with other dogs with fleas ie at the vets, in the park, at training classes etc, means that even the cleanest of dogs can get fleas. In fact, I started giving "very small" doses of garlic to my PRT (13 inches tall) when she caught hedgehog fleas.

I have had many a long chat about dogs diet with George Burns who manufactures holistic food for dogs. He has taught me a lot! Im not pushing the garlic, I do what I think is best for my dogs, it up to others to do the same for their own dogs!
carol
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great book for all dog owners is "the complete Holistic dog book", home care for our canine companions by Jan Allegretti and Katy Sommers D.V.M

Its full of great information on Homeopathic, herb and other natural remedies.
StuartW
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carol wrote:
Im not pushing the garlic, I do what I think is best for my dogs, it up to others to do the same for their own dogs!

I absolutely agree, people must make informed decisions. That includes whether one chemical agent is preferable to another (the active ingredient in garlic is a chemical agent), why it is better and what the 'safe' dosage of that chemical is, be it the active ingredient of Frontline or garlic. How much is a very small amount? If companies added paracetamol (which is perfectly safe to most people in prescribed doses, but lethal in overdosage) to human food stuffs as they add garlic extract to dog food stuffs / treats, there would be an uproar! How would we keep track of it?

I'm not pushing Frontline, BTW.. it failed to clear the variety of visitors Doogle had when we got him as a pup.. but Stronghold smote them all.. I doubt 10 tonnes of garlic would have done the trick, otherwise Pfizer would sell it instead. Wink Bear in mind that many commercially produced medicines are derived from naturally occuring ingredients.

Despite his Frontline and Stronghold treatment as a 3month pup, Doogle is fit as the proverbial fiddle... and apart from a couple of ticks picked up in 'tick country' has had no problems since.. no Frontline, garlic or anything. Doogle is a very sociable dog that has had multiple exposures to tick-infested areas.. some things are just down to luck. So, we don't subject him to any toxic agents... why use anything that might cause harm as a prophylactic?

If he did become host to unwelcome guests, then I know what pack I'd be reaching for Very Happy
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we don't treat our two for fleas or ticks unless they 'have unwelcome guests' as you put it Stu .....! Laughing
Like Doogle, ours are constantly in touch with loads of other dogs and thankfully it's not something that's been a problem. When they did have fleas once we used an over the counter flea treatment.
They've had the odd tick (one within the last 3 years!) , I use a tick remover and they come out clean.
I suppose it comes down to using treatment regularly for prevention or only when required for remedy. There's a risk either way! Confused
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I like to use the more 'natural' treatment when and if I can, but I'm not under any illusions that the 'natural' medicine doesn't have the potential to be harmful. It is awful what has happened to these wee dogs, (and having a wee one myself, def something to think about!) and I don't think I would use a chemical treatment as a pre-emptive strike against fleas, but if he got them then I probably would. Ben our yorkie got a horrible infestation once, which took forever to clear up, even with the chemical attack we waged!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: