Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Vaccination
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaelle
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Vaccinations Reply with quote

I know this topic has been covered in the past but no harm in raising it again. At present Cuthbert is vaccinated and I intend to have his first booster done when the time comes but after that time expires, so to speak,I would prefer not to go with "conventional" treatment but either do once every couple of years or homoeopathic nosodes. (I know a good homoeopathic vet!) I know that now many kennels will accept dogs with veterinary prescribed homoeopathic nosode treatment and was wondering about your school now John. Would you accept dogs in with homoeopathic nosode treatment from a vet ,or one who has proven levels of immunity in its system? I understand that you would have to have some recognised system in place for everyone's protection but does it have to be "conventional/allopathic" or can it be something else so long as the protection is there?

Gaelle
Lisa
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting question, I'll be interested to see the answer.
Janis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got to admit i would be happier if all the dogs around mine were vaccinated!
JennyMc
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear is vaccinated (and reacts badly every time) so he can go to classes and shows but my other one isn't as needs to be drugged and muzzled for vet visit. My Mum lives in US and dogs are tested when booster is due and if immune levels are good then they don't get jag! The vet marks test score on vaccination card and this allows dog into classes as if they had jag done. The vets in US seem to be more aware about testing and missing jags depending on immune levels than vets here.
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy with a system like that Jenny. It makes sense.
Lorna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US system makes sense to me too.
kirsty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be all for that, as the only reason I have my boys done is to attend classes and put them into kennels
JennyMc
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you inquired about tests from your vets? Was wondering what the response was if you had.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting thread this..........the main sticking point for training classes and kennels alike is insurance.........and the perceived threat of a legal claim in a dog that has not been vaccinated.
StuartW

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point. I think everyone would rather only vaccinate when it was necessary, rather than as a precaution. Since we all pay to get our dogs vaccinated anyway, it would make sense to offer an antibody test instead. Not sure if there are tests for all the vaccinated diseases though.
JayDee
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really is interesting, I wonder if it can work over here, if so, can we not put pressure on the vets? Lets be honest they are not going to provide this info for us... its a bit like turkeys voting for Christmas, and will mean money out of their pockets. But it does make sense. And especially for me being the owner of a small dog, not sure I really want her wee body getting pumped full of injections to top up her initial jags... Or am I just being a neurotic parent Embarassed
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know dogs and kids aren't the same, but I think vaccinations do have merit in keeping diseases at bay.

25% of kids have not had measles vaccinations and a disease that was extremely rare is now making a big come back.

Watched the One Show last week and a wee baby who was too young to get the vaccinations almost died of measles, caught from a child who wasn't vaccinated.

I went to Africa and wouldn't have risked not getting vaccinated and keeping mozzies at bay with Deet.

I know with dogs that's different as far fewer dogs will be vaccinated in comparison to kids.

But it is interesting - if we don't need annual boosters, why do they.
Janis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must admit i agree with suzanne on this one !.................i know there is a difference between humans and animals but i feel prevention is better than cure!

admittedly i raw feed as that's how dogs fed prior to being domesticated and i am sure when in the wild they built up a superior immune system than today, however we have domesticated these dogs and i would feel happier to anually booster them!

i went through a similar dilemma with innes when all the hoo-ha was going about regarding the MMR.................like all parents and pet owners we all want the best for our own!
JennyMc
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with getting initial jags when pups had both mine done and had my son (teenager now) done too he's had all his shots so he can stay in kennels now-RESULT Very Happy but can also see the merit on testing immune levels before giving boosters. Bit like the skin test thing they do on humans before BCG jag not everyone at high school with me got the jag as a result of the first test. If your/dog's immune level is high then getting booster seems slightly pointless, I guess its another thing to confuse us all as we try to weigh up pros and cons Confused Confused Confused
Gaelle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I checked with one of the local kennels about vaccination requirements I specifically asked about homoeopathic nosodes and was told that yes all dogs do need up to date proof of vaccination but SO LONG AS IT WAS PRESCRIBED BY A VET homoeopathic nosode vaccination was acceptable. I haven't however asked about antibody titres yet though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: