Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Hektor still not right
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaelle
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are all thinking about you both. Good luck at the vet's and for goodness sake DON'T look up any symptoms on the web. You'll scare yourself to death and the symptoms could fit many things, so go with the vets who can see and investigate things first hand. Good luck!

Gaelle
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true - tho in my case it helped. I thought Otto has something wrong with him and was rather embarrassed to find on the Internet that the lumps on his boab when he got excited were perfectly normal.....well I'd never had a male dog before!
Lorna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Hector is fine soon. It will probably be something very straight-forward. We are keeping our fingers crossed for you guys. Basil and Poppy are hoping their wee Dane friend is ok.
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vet stuck a needle in the lump (with no sedation - clever boy behaved!) and no pus so was going to phone me after surgery when had tested what little fluid came out, no call so i suppose was very busy.
Hektor is scheduled for an Xray on tuesday to investigate further but hopefully he'll be ok for class on sunday. It doesnt seem to be bothering him at all. Am a bit reassured, vet says lump not like an osteosarcoma and Hek seems to have regained his appetite again. Antibiotics probably were source of skitters.
In relation to the looking up stuff on the internet, I am the type of control freak that needs to know everything. If something is worrying me, I figure that Vets cant know everything so an odd suggestion from a layperson might put them down another train of thought, cant hurt can it?? Confused
Steven
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope Hector is o.k. I am sure he will be, the majority of lumps are benign, and as Shirley said probably a little young to be anything cancerous. Wish him well.

Stevie and Brenda
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from Vets after Hektors sedation and Xray. Good news is that the lump doesnt seem to be attached to his vertebrae but they are sending off samples to be checked. He's booked in for Tuesday to get it removed as its in an area that could cause problems if it gets bigger. The vet suggested that if I was planning on getting him castrated it could be done at the same time so only one anaesthetic for him to go through (and hopefully for me to pay for!).

I KNOW this is probably the best idea but I haven't quite made my mind up. I've read all replies to Otto's op last month. I've always had my dogs entire and never had any problems. Saying that, the thought of a 12 stone GD trying to hump anything/anyone (usually poor Ollie) is quite a terrifying prospect!!!!! Will this definately cure that problem? My friend's 4 year old Boxer was neutered at about 7 months and he still humps other dogs (if he can!- usually Ollie again) Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't always stop it completely Lisa - but from a health point of view I think it is a benefit to the dog. Unless you intend to breed him then it may be a good option right now when he's going to be anaesthetised.

Otto and many others have been done without any troubles at all. Wink
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed no real difference in him - he breezed through it. His personality is still the same, he just scent marks less and there has been no humping, though he only tried to hump me twice.

He is a bit calmer, but hard to tell if that's down to the neutering, adult diet, firmer parents or just growing up. Probably all of the above.

I am 100% of the opinion that we did the right thing for him and for the right reasons, mainly health.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: