Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Cocker Spaniel ...possibly PTS if behaviour can't be changed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Cocker Spaniel ...possibly PTS if behaviour can't be changed Reply with quote

I hope you guys don't mind me posting this here, this is from a girl on the diet forum that I go on!! (yes, I am always on a diet, lol)

I said that I would post on here and ask for some opinions. If anyone has any ideas for her then I will pass them on. (or will say to her to join here!)

She writes....

I have 2 dogs, a black cocker called Alf (4 yrs) and a 5 month old chocolate roan cocker called Molly

Alf is going blind and can be quite aggressive. We got Molly after taking advice from our vet but it has not gone to plan. Alf is very scared of her and aggressive to her when she goes near him.

As a result we called in a professional dog trainer who has advised we keep them apart - and also walk them separately until the youngest is 5 yrs old - I don't feel this is a very practical solution - do you??

I have just been speaking to Alf's groomer who runs a dog charity and has 5 dogs of her own - she says that the way the trainer has told me to handle Alf is complete nonsense - she also told me that the last day she had him in he bit her and her assistant - this happened months ago but she just told me now as I was so upset the day that happened about his general behaviour.

To be honest I find it so stressful now i think it would be kinder to put him to sleep - as he will only get worse the more his site goes. My OH keeps saying "give him one more chance" but I don't think its right to wait till he bites again either - what if its a child next time?
Gaelle
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilma Reid of Cocker Spaniel Rescue, Scotland, would be very willing and able to help out with advice etc. She has had many years experience of Cockers . I have pm'd you the details.
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think you have to weigh up the pros and cons of this situation. As the dog is going blind you have to ask yourself is it kind to have him distressed? But if he has some sight and perhaps will have for the next wee while then PTS may be a bit drastic.
How aggressive does 'aggressive' mean?
A new puppy will be full of beans and playful toward him, it is not uncommon for a dog to nip a pup to put the pup in it's place. This is normal.

If they want to try to find a way of keeping both dogs then tell her to have a look on here and read the Pack Order section.
http://www.cumbernaulddogtraining.co.uk/pack-order.html

If they are mothering him a little because of his situation this may be adding to his frustrations. By instilling strict pack order and letting Alf know that they are the boss then this should help him calm down a good bit. But it will take effort. Small changes in their daily routine might make a big difference to him. Same goes for the pup, same rules apply.

As for the groomer, if the dog is going blind them maybe he got a fright when handled? Perhaps the owner should groom him herself if he is used to her handling him. Question

If he is otherwise fit and healthy then I too would want to give him a second chance and as for the advice of keeping them apart ........ I'd work with strict pack order first! A pup will learn to stay away from him if he doesn't want to interact!
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

I have let the person know, sadly I think she is at the end of her tether, and I think that Alf is going to end up in rescue at best, pts at worst. Crying or Very sad
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh this is just horrible! i hate to think of the wee soul being pts. If they do rehome him it might be best... particularly to find someone who has the time, patience and experience to deal with such a dog Sad Sad
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she hasn't got the time nor patience to try any longer please ask her to rehome him. Having him put to sleep is quite harsh and very upsetting!
There would be someone out there happy to care for him I'm sure!
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a dreadful state of affairs.

Surely if a dog is to be rehomed it should be the pup? The dog they have had for 4 years has got to have priority - how can they even consider having him euthanaised?
Emma*

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Enid the pup should be the first to be rehomed.
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma* wrote:
I agree Enid the pup should be the first to be rehomed.

Particularly because the older dog has problems and it will be very difficult for him to be rehomed. Pups get homes very easily! It would be a shame to cause this dog even more distress. I just hate hearing things like this! Sad
kirsty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enid wrote:
This is a dreadful state of affairs.

Surely if a dog is to be rehomed it should be the pup? The dog they have had for 4 years has got to have priority - how can they even consider having him euthanaised?

I totally agree - the owners surely have a commitment to a dog they have had for this length of time and if having the pup is causing this poor animal a problem it should be the younger do that needs to go. The pup will be easily re-homed.

They owe it to the poor old blind guy to try everything before making these kind of decisions.
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a wee update on this..

I have been emailing the owner now, and she really is very nice and would hate for people to think that she does not care for Alf. It turns out that he has actually always been a very difficult dog, and they have had three different behaviourists out to him, all giving conflicting advice. The last person who assessed him runs a rescue herself, and said that she felt he was just naturally a very stressed out dog. I think they got the pup as a vet thought it would be good for Alf, but it has made him worse.

I do not think now that he will be PTS, but the owner really is at wits end, and is going to ring the person Gaelle recommended, and fingers crossed that this poor chap can either live happily at home or can find a new home.
Mary
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan - I hope all will be OK for Alf. He is still on my mind today. Are they in Scotland? Have you asked his owner what is wrong with his eyes? I had a Cocker go blind and he managed OK although he was a lot older. The bit with the pup is just like all older dogs sorting out the pecking order before the pup gets too cheeky.

Well done you for trying to help.
Lorna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan, I have previously had a blind dog, small Beagle, who lived for 12 years, four of them blind. She was uncertain of, and at times aggressive to other dogs but the others learned to avoid her. She was very clingy and got stressed if left alone.
Alf may need special handling but he surely deserves a chance. Please ask your friend to give him time to be re-homed. There should be a Cocker forum where someone may take him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: