Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Another raw food question..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olive2007

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Another raw food question.. Reply with quote

Hi all,

We like many of you have been before am thinking about putting Olive onto the raw food diet, simply because she is completely not interested in her dry food!

We are completely new to this so any advice you have would be good i.e
how much we should buy? she is on 2 meals a day now but sometimes misses one of these every few days!
which type would be the best to start her on ( she seems to like chicken)?
How do you give your dogs this? mixed with what?
also how do we go about ordering, is it best to go through yourselves?

Thanks,

Julie & Chris
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey my mum and i feed our girls on raw (cockapoos) don't think i have met you yet. how old is olive and what is she. our eldist Gypsy was the same when we had he on complete, she still has her moments but most of the time she eats everything, her fave is dirty tripe, but she wont even look at the chicken

amandawhitelaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoda (Chocolate Lab) has been on raw for a few months now and i was wayyyyyyyyy over feeding her. If you look on the www.prizechoice.co.uk. Somewhere in there it states using these raw products you should feed 100 to 150 g of food per 10kg of your dogs weight. Pity i hadn't read this part when i was feeding yoda. 3lbs of raw meat ha ha. I suppose it depends on the dog if they put weight on or off.

My dog loves the diet she was the same as Olive went off her can meat. Yoda loves the tripe, chicken and beef. He favorite is lambs kidney and liver. However your dog is only allowed those product i think it is once a week.

I dont mix Yodas meat with anything else.

Good luck hope thsi was of help
Louise13
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Julie & Chris

I am Louise... the Scottish Rep for Landywoods.... The orders for up here go through me..Though from what I understand John does a collection at hamilton for some people on here..Others order through myself..(Johns order comes to me also)
It would all depend on what is the best collection area for you..or what times you can make..

I do a Forth Road Bridge drop on the Friday evening of delivery at 6pm or there is the Hamilton drop on the Friday morning/afternoon..

We have a delivery coming up on Friday for which I require the orders in today..so if you wanted something this order I need it this evening..(either to add onto John's list or individual)

Most people use chicken wings to get the dogs used to the bones and the meat..Landywoods foods are mostly minced and easy for the dogs to manage....we also do chunks of meat or meat and bone...I would try the minced chicken, or economy mince..or of course the old favourite of manky tripe...if you can stand the smell Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbles is on the Landywoods raw meat and absolutely adores it. her favorite is the dirty tripe. She was at the vet about a week ago and I was asked what I was feeding her as her coat was in such good condition.

I`m glad that I was introduced to this as I know I have a happy healthy dog.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

have a look through some of the old raw feeding posts..lots of info from people who have switched.
At first it take a bit more planning and a freezer is a must........but well worth the extra effort.
kendal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best way people seem to find for either changing over or just to see if there dog likes it it to go to TESCO and get some frozen mince and mix it in with there normal meal as it will help you to introduce it as a dramatic change in diet can give a dog an upset tummy for a day or two.

marcella

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

as a guide for raw feeding it is recommended that you feed approximately 2-3% of the dogs IDEAL body weight. I would say Olive is pretty much perfect at the minute so 3 % of her weight in raw meat per day would suffice. But as she is a young pup and growing it's best to play it by ear. She is looking spot on just now - not at all fat but looking very muscular and healthy, so feed her approx 3% of her weight. If she eats all that and maintains the weight to height ratio she has at the moment then I would say that's perfect. If it causes her to look leaner then up it slightly or alternatively if she starts to look 'tubby' then reduce it slightly.
With feeding of any kind it's trial and error to maintain the perfect balance as exercise will play a part in it too. Smile
just use your own judgement. Wink
As for food - raw mince, liver, heart, tripe, chicken wings ............ anything raw Smile throw her a raw bone and she'll be in heaven. Great for their teeth and gums and the dogs just love it. Wink
OK make us feel queasy but hey - we're not dogs!

Just don't feed her a COOKED bone ...... Shocked ...... cooked bones splinter, not good for them. But ANYTHING raw including chicken and chicken bones is fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: