Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Electronic training collar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alison and Mark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Electronic training collar Reply with quote

Hi,

As the summer approaches and the weather gets better, we're running into more cyclists, walkers and other dogs on the walk.

Beagie is fine off the lead and recalls fine as long as there is no distraction and dog biscuits.

When he runs into any person/animal/vehicle on our off-road walks, instantly runs after cyclists or to jump on walkers/joggers. As example today he chased a cyclist out of view, then chased a tractor in a field (dangerous) and then immediately went running after another dog. On all 3 occasions he did not re-call. Even in the field I had him within two feet with a biscuit on offer and he still stayed in the field. While chasing the tractor, he looked back at me then continued to chase the tractor as I tried to recall him...so he knows I want him to come back but disobeys.

I don't have much option but to put him on the lead most of his walk now...and was wondering if I should look into an electronic training collar to help me with recall?

Mark
Emma*
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with my two, apart there recall is pretty good, together i have no chance. Rolling Eyes
kendal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a start i think Beagie is a bit to young to start anything like that with him yet.

i know John has one for Murphy to try and stop him chasing dear, but i think he can take a good blast and hardy flinch.

our inca can be the same but for us its more about there barking that is a problem.

John would be the best person to ask but i would say yes look into it(there is no harm in research) but don't do anything till he is older, try some other alternatives.

Allan Campbell
Trainer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would agree with kendal .. beagie is definately too young for an e collar at this stage .. its down to more and more recall practice tho i would remember his breeding means he is destined top be a "nose to ground hunting hound" many beagles display the deaf ear its a breed trait but they can be trained .. perseverance

lorna has a lot of the breeds experience . her opinion in this would i think be helpful
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
Beagie is still far to young to contemplate an e collar. He is still a puppy who is learning what he can and can't get away with.

I would use a long line and reinforce the recall........then gradually introduce distractions while doing recalls.

The long line means he cannot ignore your command and if you introduce your distractions when you want you know you are in charge and what will happen rather than waiting for a distraction to happen..........him run off and be in a position to ignore the recall.

Hope this made sense?
alisonD
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also have the same problem!i find taking Tom to a busy park on long line seems to be helping a lot! Smile
Alison and Mark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments.

Beagie has been fine off the lead last 2 mornings because it's been raining and everyone stops walking their dogs/cycling when it gets wet. I even got away with zero dog biscuits on the walk today also.

In the afternoon it's obviously busier so Beagie needs to be on the lead at all times.

I'll buy a line lead at the weekend and give it a go.
Lorna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beagles are deaf when the nose is to the ground and the tails are high. He is MUCh too young to think about an e-collar. You need to keep him on a long line and practice recall all the time. Even when you are walking, pause, let him be a bit away and call him back. Reward him! Persist. If you can find a large enclosed space where he can run free and safely, then let him off line and practice there. A park with railings round, an emclosed field or a quiet beach can be good.

I'm sorry squeaky toys haven't worked with my Beagles. They aren't as high value as food or owners. You have to make yourself really high value for a Beagle. They can be trained and be great obedience dogs - but it takes time and a lot of repetitive practice.

Sorry, there is no easy answer. They are hunters and will always want to put the nose to the ground and the tail in the air. It is the nature of the beast. But CUTE!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: