Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
pulling on the leash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sals

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: pulling on the leash Reply with quote

When Seoras is going out for a walk after the first min he starts to pull back all the time, we only go for short walks round the area we stay and he has become aware of his surrounding, when we turn back to head for home ie is on his back legs trying to run and chocking himself..Any help would be great.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sals,

typical GSD Laughing It is in their nature to pull on a leash.

There are a few things you can do to help. Firstly try to keep his attention focused on you, treats or a ball/toy are ideal for this. Ideally you want him to walk on a loose leash on your left hand side with his shoulder level with your knee, when he is in this position use the command 'heel' or another common word used for this is 'close'. it does not matter which word you use as long as when you start you stick to the same one.

If he goes out in front excitedly call his name and 'heel' and change direction.......every time he goes out in front. The idea is to get him to look to you to see which direction to go in and not decide himself. try to keep any training, upbeat,happy and at this stage short. Far better to train little and often.

Other things you may want to look at are the article on basic pack order and the eye contact game to teach him to watch you http://www.cumbernaulddogtraining.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=369
sals

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that i'll let you know how we get on with the wee man Very Happy
StuartW
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look at that.. will be trying it with Doogle too Wink
Eleanor
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sals

welcome to the forum - sorry for the late reply (been on hols)

if Seoras is pulling back when going out and really eager to get home again he may need is confidence building up (how old is he?)

suggestions for walking on a loose lead - use food/treat as a lure to position Seoras beside your left leg and reward (he should be at your left hand side as John has suggested for use in future training). When he is in position, show him the treat, use his name and the 'heel' (or close) command, take 2 or 3 steps forward and reward, continue building on the number of steps taken between rewards.

Reward only when the Seoras is at your left leg and walking beside you.

Lead should be held in your right hand and the treat held in your left hand (treat held same side as Seoras)

Keep the training exciting and fun. I agree with John - training sessions should be little and often, always end training on a positive.

hope this helps (great name!)

Eleanor
Stephanie21

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sals

I have a big newfie and she used to pull like a bull when she was younger. I used a combination of clicker training and a gentle leader. The gentle leader gives you control as the dog connot use his body weight to pull and the band that goes behind the ears calms the dog as it has connotations with being picked up by mum when he was a puppy. If using the clicker you have to make it mean something i.e. when I click you are doing what I want you to do. You can look clicker training up on the net. Basically when you have the gentle leader on Seoras take your clicker and treat bag. As you are walking click and treat whenever the lead goes loose. The minute the lead gets tense stop and keep your hands at your side. When the lead gets loose walk on and click and treat. It shouldnt take long for Seoras to realise that pulling on the lead will not get him where he wants to go - which is why he pulls in the first place. You can also attach a command to the behaviour i.e. heel. Only do this though we he is consistently not pulling.

Stephanie
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sals wrote:
Thanks for that i'll let you know how we get on with the wee man Very Happy

He is gorgeous. Where did you get him from?
graceb

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sals welcome to the forum, Im Grace with the young Doberman Dexter. I Seen your pup on Sunday he is absolutely gorgeous Smile I have the same problem with Dexter pulling on the lead although it is worse when there are other dogs/people about. But he is slowly getting better (although sometimes it dosnt look that way!) After class on Sunday he walked almost all the way back home without pulling so that was really good for him waehey!!!!!!!!!! Laughing
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you look really stupid changing direction and standing still - I know I've tried Laughing

I sometimes get pulling, sometimes it's perfect....quite annoying really. Can't say as I've mastered the walk yet....he only does it for John!!!
Peter

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I sometimes get pulling, sometimes it's perfect....quite annoying really. Can't say as I've mastered the walk yet....he only does it for John!!!

Have a careful look at John's body posture and the speed at which he walks, you may be transmitting the something down the lead that John isn't. If you have positive thoughts in your mind about what you are doing with your dog, you will often find that the dog will get the message without you even saying anything.

I've proved that a number of times by thought provoking a dog to go into their crate.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: