Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Over Protective?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ross

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Over Protective? Reply with quote

Hi,

Got an issue with Oscar. As some of you are aware he is a friendly (mostly) dog when out on the walks. However, when I walk him alone he cant be trusted around other dogs as he thinks bouncing on them and nipping is a good laugh Evil or Very Mad which most owners dont appreciate.

When I walk in the local estate he start howling and getting very excited at the look of another dog. All forms of correction (prong, choker, water, etc) fail to get his focus off the other dog. On the other hand, when my wife walks him, he wont even dare pull the lead.

Advise anyone?

Ross
Suzanne H
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar issue...Otto bolts to other dogs and totally ignores all commands.

He ran away twice yesterday - once in a safe area, once not....I think it's because I've been busy doing up my old flat to sell that he's not been getting much training and is just taking the pee.

John has put a couple of ideas on other threads ie long line and using a stooge dog and the "look" trick on the other thread which I'm going to instigate. He was getting very good and is still responsive in most places, but in areas he knows well, he totally ignores us when other dogs are about.

He doesn't bite them, just wants to run around with them. In the house he is 100% biddable...but I rule them all with a rod of iron in there. Outside it's harder to be consistent because the environment changes, but perhaps that's an advantage. If he's less certain, he;s more biddable.

Also he's not been getting as much exercise as my stepson is looking after him during the day which mostly involves them lying in the same bed and our training being undermined....which again is teaching him bad habits. GRRR He's better behaved when he's in his crate and jsut gets an hour at lunchtime.
Janis

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROSS THE WAY I READ THIS HE OBVIOUSLY SEES YOUR WIFE AS PACK LEADER AND NOT YOU!.....................MAYBE YOU NEED TO BE A BIT FIRMER WITH HIM AND TRY LIVER CAKE OR SOMETHING THAT HE CAN'T RESIST ON THE FOOD FRONT TO GET HIS ATTENTION!

SHORT SHARP CORRECTION ON THE PRONG WITH A FIRM 'NO' AT POINT OF CORRECTION!

MAYBE JOHN WILL HAVE OTHER ADVICE!.....................ALSO MAYBE HE NEEDS TO GET BACK IN AMONGST OUR GROUP AGAIN AND BE PUT IN RANK WITH THE DOGS!
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hijack your thread Ross, but it's a similar issue and I'm in despair.

I could have a whole cooked chicken in my hand and it wouldn't distract him from a dog at the moment. I can't find anything that's of value to him outside....and its no different for Ian. He won't walk to heel and he bolts after dogs.

to get him to heel, I've tried food, a squeaker, a ball, happy voice, the lot - as in training but this morning I felt I was totally incidental to the walk even though he was on a lead. He doesn't pull as in really pull as I'd be off my feet, but he leads or diverts off for a sniff...and he is sharply corrected....but nothing works.

He's starting to get a bit lairy in the house too - but I know what to do to get him back in line indoors. And it's partly down to my stepson being at home with him as he's left his job, as he gets to do what he wants....and also that I've been busy.

But outside, it's a lot harder.

Just need to try the long line/other dog and the look training as suggested I guess. Walking him is no fun at the moment. Ian is really against a prong collar....but on or off collar is about as bad.

Maybe we also have to play with him a bit more....but it makes for an exhausting walk to have to permanently wave a stick about, play hide and seek and run about to get your dog's attention...
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a bad day and I looked back at that post and it sounds like I have a dog who pulls us about and is totally out of control...and that's a bit unfair on him. And us.

For his age, he's actually quite good. Just pushes his luck every now and again...usually when we're tired and busy like now.
ross

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: protective Reply with quote

Oscar is always pushing his luck Laughing

Going to ensure he is on a walk this weekend and need to arrange with John on a time for returning to training.

Ross.
marcella

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ross,

Janis is right ....... Smile Sounds like he's trying to protect you and he sees your wife as pack leader. Do you pay more attention to him than your wife does? Is she more inclined to ignore him?????
Pack leaders tend to be more 'aloof', for want of a better word. The more you ignore them they more they see you as a superior.
The sooner he's back among the group the better. Smile You can come to classes on Sunday if that suits you Ross. Come along around 3pm or 3.30pm which ever class you think would suit you best. He will get back into the swing of things in no time ............ and so will you.

In the meantime, try and remain unfazed and calm around him and he will hopefully take your lead. Wink

How is Tilly? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: