Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Hungry Puppy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anna
Site Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Hungry Puppy Reply with quote

I need a bit of help, Tilly only sometimes likes her breakfast/dinner and sometimes she doesn't.

She barks at her cage door which my dad thinks is linked to her being hungry, I don't agree.

How can we get her to eat her dinner when she gets it and to just like it? We are still in the process of switching her from Pedigree to JWB but if she likes her food sometimes it can't be the switch over can it??

Thanks in advance
Ashley
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righty... this is what I would do, did do, and still do...

Firstly.. the switching of the food.
You really dont need to do it in stages to be honest. When I switched Holly I took up one day. That day was half and half, then the next day she was on to the food I wanted her to be on. Remember that the balance of nutrients in the two foods will not be correct if you keep mixing them. So, stop giving her Pedigree and just give her JWB.
Thats the first step.

Secondly, when you put her food out to her, call on her and make her aware that its there. Give her 15mins to eat it. If she doesnt eat it... take it away. Dont give her ANYTHING again until her next meal time. No bones or chews or anything. Next meal time, do the same. Use the 15 mins as a RULE at eating times. She'll soon get the idea that she has to eat it. Dont worry if she doesnt eat for a full day. Holly done this too. When she is hungry, she'll eat!

My two now know that once ive drawn their attention to the food... its 15 mins. Its usually gone in 5 mins... but they know if they dont eat it I will take it away.

That also reinforces you as pack leader.

Make sure she eats AFTER you.

The crying at the door isnt her telling you she is hungry... its just attention. If she was that hungry she would eat her dinner.

The dinner SHOULDNT be left out for her to eat whenever she wants! Smile

Wow, I rambled quite a bit. But hope it helped! Very Happy
Janis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wise words from ashley anna!

i would endorse all she says!...........i have known one of mine to not eat for two or so days and she is still here full of life and bounce!

i think we can all fall into the trap when they are puppies to see them as cute and and give in to them! stick by your rules of 15 mins and show who is pack leader and you won't go wrong!
kendal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how old is she now, as she may not need to meals a day. large dogs tend to need two, but i think most smaller breeds should only be on one.
that may be why she doesn't eat as she either knows shes getting fed again that day or is full by the time it comes to her second meal. just a thaught.

John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with Ashley..........if Tilly is hungry she will eat. a health dog will not starve itself.It is entirely likely that she simply is not hungry.
The 15 minute rule is important it reinforces that you control feeding not the dog if a dog has free access to food then it is in control.
Ashley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kendal wrote:
how old is she now, as she may not need to meals a day. large dogs tend to need two, but i think most smaller breeds should only be on one.
that may be why she doesn't eat as she either knows shes getting fed again that day or is full by the time it comes to her second meal. just a thaught.

Agree there too, Kendal. Holly was on two meals when we got her, and I continued this until she stopped growing (about 8 months).. for a while now she only has one meal a day. Murphy only gets one meal too.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup we do this too. He's also made to lie in his crate while we eat, and has to sit and give a paw before I let him start eating.

He once turned his nose up at it after getting some chicken the night before - he didn't get any food until night-time. Hasn't done it since. (Bit like getting the stuff you didn't like as a kid for breakfast!!)

This morning was odd - he wouldn't eat it (not like him) until I sussed I'd forgotten to put in his daily evening primrose oil capsule (good for his dry skin) then he scoffed it. I wouldn't have thought the tablet made it taste better, but nothing like a dog to remind you what you're supposed to do.
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:

You really dont need to do it in stages to be honest. When I switched Holly I took up one day. That day was half and half, then the next day she was on to the food I wanted her to be on. Remember that the balance of nutrients in the two foods will not be correct if you keep mixing them. So, stop giving her Pedigree and just give her JWB.
Thats the first step.

Sorry - I cannot agree with this.

Any change in diet, even from Pedigree to JWB (same company - both owned by Mars) should be done over a minimum of 5 days. A sudden change in diet can easily upset a tummy!
Ashley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I beg to differ. It worked for me, and has worked for the other dogs in my family. No tummy upsets!!!
Lindy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I switched my dogs over to RAW I did it in one day no messing about with lessening one food and introducing the other just one day they were on dry the next RAW they were fine no upset tummies at all. Mind you I switched food regularly as I had been trying various foods to see what i felt was best for my dogs, and all of my family dogs have never been fed the same brand constantly we would switch from one brand to the other etc as they were cheaper or on offer and we have never had tummy problems. So I tend to agree with Ashley that it's not necessary.
Ashley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My switching over was firstly from Pedigree to JWB, then JWB to RAW. I had no problems. Ive also switched a few times between RAW and JWB whenever Ive run out of RAW... like now! Rolling Eyes
linsey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched Leon to raw quickly too... one day normal food, then next day 50/50 and he seemed fine with that, so the next day I just put down a bowl of raw and there was absolutely no problems with him whatsoever... he was just fine.
Gaelle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:

Thats the first step.

Secondly, when you put her food out to her, call on her and make her aware that its there. Give her 15mins to eat it. If she doesnt eat it... take it away. Dont give her ANYTHING again until her next meal time. No bones or chews or anything. Next meal time, do the same. Use the 15 mins as a RULE at eating times. She'll soon get the idea that she has to eat it. Dont worry if she doesnt eat for a full day. Holly done this too. When she is hungry, she'll eat!

My two now know that once ive drawn their attention to the food... its 15 mins. Its usually gone in 5 mins... but they know if they dont eat it I will take it away.

The crying at the door isnt her telling you she is hungry... its just attention. If she was that hungry she would eat her dinner.

Fine I don't disagree with that but what happens if they are on medication (antibiotics) with their food and don't eat do you then give them something to hide the medication in (which is usually by this point in umpteen pieces?)
linsey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaelle wrote:
Ashley wrote:

Thats the first step.

Fine I don't disagree with that but what happens if they are on medication (antibiotics) with their food and don't eat do you then give them something to hide the medication in (which is usually by this point in umpteen pieces?)

Pop it in a dairylea triangle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: