Google Search
Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Just when I thought it was safe to let him off lead.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaelle
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Just when I thought it was safe to let him off lead. Reply with quote

I took him a walk on the common up at the caravan. On the outward bart he was brilliant, never letting me out of his sight, coming when called etc... FANTASTIC I thought! How wrong was I ! As soon as I turned round to head back he was off, a quick dip in the river (safe enough) and then he got a scent of a cat and no way was he listening to me, oh no he had to find this cat and for the next half hour he had great fun running around a small area of the caravan site, in and out of bushes and all sorts. I tried ignoring him, walking away (he didn't turn a hair), tempting him with food (completely ignored it). Talk about on a mission!! Every time he got near enough to grab, I ended up with a handful of fur but no dog! By the time I did finally get him (he'd stopped for a breather) a few of our new neighbours were out trying to help. One even brought her bitch out to try to woo him back. All the time the site regulations were ringing in my head "pets must be kept under control and not be a nuisance to others". Luckily they are fairly relaxed folk there but it is NOT a good way to be introduced to your neighbours, making a racket and trying to catch a daft dog. No more off lead for him until I get my nerve back ( whenever that may be!)!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for long posting, but as Otto is the same age and also a gundog, I can pass on our experiences.

I think you have to accept with young gundogs especially that you will never get 100% recall all of the time - not in a world of smells and animals to chase. And to accept those limitations and head them off at the pass.

What we try to do is recognise the signs and or animal before Otto does by keeping an eye out. Then distract him with a stick or do a recall and bring him in to go on the lead.

We have also realised that he needs to know we have food by doing small recalls to the whistle now and again as we go - for no reason other than to remind him to do it. Means that if he does go, he will come back quicker as he hears the whistle and knows there is a treat in it for him.

He also knows "wait", which is handy as he will stop long enough to grab.

And in areas of much distraction or potential danger if he does bolt, he's put on the long line/lead until its passed, so he doesn't get the chance to bolt.

His recall is 90% and he's biddable off the lead, but I know he will always spot something I don't so as long as he comes back within 5 mins, that's good enough.

You can't expect a young dog NOT to do some things and while it would be good if they didn't, don't beat yourself up for having to save them from themselves. And you need to practice recall ALL the time in different situations to remind them.

It's a world of smelly interest and things to chase.
geri carroll

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I so know how this feels. orla has decided to do her own thing. when i shout come, she gives me a long meaningful look then trots off in the opposite direction !!!

I am going to work with a long line, and pursue her every single time so she knows she can not get away with it---I will so win this battle of wills
Rhianne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck Mum

( I think u'll need it)
linsey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhianne wrote:
Good Luck Mum

( I think u'll need it)

he he...

how does your poor mum put up with you?! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: