Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Apologies from Hektor...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lisa/Colin
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Apologies from Hektor... Reply with quote

...for his appalling conduct at class last night.
My nerves are shattered, I've not slept much and I'm not sure how to deal with this unacceptable behaviour. Sad

Since last week I have been reinforcing the pack order at home and things HAVE improved here but last nights completely stressed out Hektor was a new beast. On our unfortunately infrequent walks due to my wonky knee he has been reacting the same way. I have been trying to pre-empt any reaction by giving a correction as soon as I see him getting focussed on the other dog but sometimes this is not enough.

I dont know if I am dealing with this the right way...should the prong correction be enough? I feel like I am roaring 'NO!' like a loony.

Once the kids go back to school I hope to try to get back to a walking routine, maybe even get a few Glen walks with everyone (if you'll have us Sad)

A dog-aggressive Great Dane is not a dog people want to be around, I know.

Is this something that CAN be fixed?

On a happier note, I was really impressed with the dogs in the 8.30 class, a completely different atmosphere, or maybe my stress levels had subsided a bit....
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa,

no apologies are needed..........this is why we are there ....to help when things are tough.

Several things have come together at a time when male dogs tend to challenge owners anyway.........plus he is BIG!

You will regain control............try , difficult as I know it is to remain calm and consistent........keep his collar high and tight so that it is more effective.

If you need someone to walk him while your knee recovers just give me a shout.......I'm happy to help.
shirley c

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Lisa...I wasnt there last night but im sure everyone was fine...isnt it bettter yo are in a controlled area with like minded people while he is having these temper tantrums....we are all there for you...Hektor isnt the 1st to do this and def. wont be the last...this is why John is there.

Dont ever feel embarrassed about your dog in this way...anyway just ask John about a younger Diesel Laughing and there have been others like Hektor and they are a lot better now...I think you get to the bad, very bad and worse stage before you start to see improvements...then it happens and you think 'you kow my dog isnt that bad at all' and it will happen with Hektor too Smile
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shirley c wrote:
..anyway just ask John about a younger Diesel Laughing

Diesel aka The Gangsta!!!!!!! Shocked Laughing
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be daft Lisa. I certainly don't bat at eyelid.

He was barking at Otto because your young lass was clapping him which is understandable, so I just moved him away or moved in between because Otto was eyeballing him according to Ian Laughing

Everyone in that class has had issues because most of them are male, young, dumb and full of, er, enthusiasm for life. Otto used to bounce about like a nutjob and run off, it's taken a while to get him to pay attention.

I think in general is harder for women with bigger, stronger dogs - we are easier for them to challenge because we're not as strong and are probably a bit more up and down energy wise (men are just boringly the same!!). Just go back to basics and the training, he will come good.
Janis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:

If you need someone to walk him while your knee recovers just give me a shout.......I'm happy to help.

i too am happy to help walk hektor..............with the schools back on monday and innes off my hands i would love to come up and take him for a walk!
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your understanding. It certainly helps to have your support. It helps to know that he CAN get better with a lot of work, I guess I just need a plan of action. With the kids back at school on Monday I'm hoping to get stuck in with the training and Colin will try to help with the walking (when he's not working 14 hr days or sleeping!).

Fingers crossed for better behaviour on Sunday!
graceb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah no worries Lisa, I'm sure we all go through difficult times with our dogs. We've all seen Hektor when he is behaving very well Smile
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it, we have all been there and still go there every now and again. I didn't think he was as bad as you imagined just maybe because you where stressed hopefully it will get better soon for you. Very Happy
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire/Mark wrote:
I didn't think he was as bad as you imagined just maybe because you where stressed h

Very true...........everyone thinks their dog is a nightmare and very easy to feel overly self conscious when in fact everyone is concentrating on their own dogs issues/problems.
lynn
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have two danes, brother and sister, unfortunately we don't live where you all live so we can't come and meet you all, a couple of weeks age Peters brother came down, with his boxer boy un-nuetered same as Ozzie ( Ozzie is the nicest dog you could wish to meet with his head resting on your chest) Peters sister fetches her little Bison(girl) my two don't don't bat an eyelid they all get on fine, back to the main story Micky comes in Oz watches for a bit then Oz says " GRRR what are you doing here then it got quite nasty, Micky went back to Blackpool within the hour, so I guess it's a no no with un-neutered males

sorry waffling Lynn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: