Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Embarassing problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Embarassing problem Reply with quote

When I take Lance and Amber out for a walk, Amber has developed a major problem. If I pass another dog she pulls like mad with her front feet off the ground, growling etc until the other dog passes.
Now when we go to ring craft and to shows she is no problem and does'nt do this.
We have just come back from Ireland where we were showing and having a holiday. The cottage we were staying in the owners had a rottie and some other terriers after a couple of days she was happily running around with them.

The problem only happens when she is on the lead and we pass another dog. And as you can imagine with her being a stafford it gives out the wrong impression of her as she is such a pleasent dog any other time

Any advice?

John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps try to re direct their focus onto you..treats...toys/ sometimes easier said than done Very Happy
graceb
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more embarrassing is when my young Dobe does this to old Granny's and kids Confused
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of waiting for this to happen and then you are forced to react..........take control and know what is going to happen.

You know Amber will react and you know what she will react to......you also know that she can control herself around strange dogs because she has no issues in the show ring.
Up close with other dogs she sounds as if she is getting into a frenzy hence treats and corrections mean nothing.

Find a wide open space and have a friend in the distance with a dog ( preferably one Amber does not know) walk back and forward slowly getting closer to each other, not head on as this is more likely to trigger Amber.

As soon as you see amber react in any way...even looking at the other dog use treats, toy or your voice to re direct Amber....if you catch her early you should be able to do this, and start to go away from the other dog.........given a bit of time you should eventually get them walking together in the same direction.

Hope this made sense.
davidt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice I'll give it a go

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

John's method WILL work for you but you will need to invest in a fair bit of time for this gradually building from distance work to up close so don't expect it to be a quick fix and don't expect her to "get" it too early. Wink This method would be great for you because it would instill confidence in you and your dog that she will get used to to other dogs and be more sociable in the long term.

My lot aren't fantastic with other dogs. Don't get me wrong they've never gone for any nor thankfully have they responded when other dogs have approached them in attack mode but had I not had them completely under control they would have. Whenever we see a dog approaching us on a walk I issue the command for them to heel, I pull them in close against my legs (they always feel safer and more comfortable when up close to me, big butch Staffies eh? Rolling Eyes Laughing ) and I keep them on a very tight short leash, all the time crooning to them in the soft voice I use especially for them. When I'm reassuring them I tell them what good boy/girls they are and we always pass other dogs without any incident whatsoever. Being on a short leash would prevent your girl being able to lunge at other dogs, your reassurance to her would mean she feels more comfortable and be far less likely to snarl or show her teeth.

Alternatively as you have no issues at all when at dog shows whether in the ring or out of it it could well be a good idea to adopt the attitude on walks that you adopt in the ring. Use the same voice controls, the same commands, the same posture and only relax that when you are in an open space and ready to let her have a run & some fun.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem, but found that leave it works as a command. It's a command he knows and he transferred it into this situation, so he knows to just keep moving.

He used to pull towards a dog, but now just looks and is gradually getting to ignore stage, even off the lead unless it's a dog he thinks is up for a game.

He's wasn't being aggressive to them though, just wanted to play. So maybe not a solution to the same problem.
geri carroll

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orla my wheaten terrier does the whining lunging thing also. she is just very exciteable.
i largely try to ignore this, i now have a habit of walking her on a short lead anyway. I often thought the more attention i paid tensing the lead or shout leave, the more exciteable she becomes. i give her a treat if she is good, ignore if bad and try to walk off to the side rather than approach the other dog directly.

i find it more embarassing for me than anything else. if i walk to the side or turn my back on the other dog, i dont have to look at the owner and find i am less tense which probably helps.
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave....how is Amber getting on now? Have you hit upon the solution for this problem?
Dan McK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Durham!!! More and more people from further afield joining the forum! Welcome to all!!!!

I love all terriers, and their fiery natures! Although staff's are a brilliant natured dog around people, they can have an intolerance to other dogs, this was originally seen as a good attribute as they where originally the working class fighting dog that had to live with a family through the week, but fight other dogs at weekends.

Although a hell of a lot of staffs have 'forgotten' this nature, quite a few still show it. Stick to the advice given, and I'm sure you will have a loving dog that you can enjoy not just in the house, but out on walks also.

Good luck!!
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terriers are my favourite group of dogs too, naturally Staffies are my grand passion but I love JRT so much - had 2 when I was growing up - both adorable little boys.

Sadly man bred Staffs for their abilities and has only himself to blame when they exhibit those tendencies. I'm working hard at raising the profile of the many fantastic qualities they possess rather than the completely biased and inaccurately reported negative side to them. This doesn't mean I am blind as to what they are capable of, quite the reverse. I fully accept what is within them but if they are handled correctly from birth they grow into the most wonderful loving and loyal pets - always be aware of what they are capable of and deal with any issues immediately they arise and you shouldn't have many problems.

My eldest girl is full of naughtiness and I do have to watch her very carefully at times - I shudder to think how she would have turned out in the wrong hands Crying or Very sad
Dan McK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack wrote:
if they are handled correctly from birth they grow into the most wonderful loving and loyal pets - always be aware of what they are capable of and deal with any issues immediately they arise and you shouldn't have many problems.

Couldnt agree more!! Like most terriers, (russells included) they where bred for aggresion (foxes, rats, rabbits, other dogs).

But I also think terriers can make the BEST pets!!! ( I might be slightly biased)
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan McK wrote:
Jack wrote:
if they are handled correctly from birth they grow into the most wonderful loving and loyal pets - always be aware of what they are capable of and deal with any issues immediately they arise and you shouldn't have many problems.

Couldnt agree more!! Like most terriers, (russells included) they where bred for aggresion (foxes, rats, rabbits, other dogs).

But I also think terriers can make the BEST pets!!! ( I might be slightly biased)

You and me both Dan! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: