Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
toxic product warning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirsty
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: toxic product warning Reply with quote

This was sent to me by German Shepherd Rescue

This message has been sent in by one of our members and originates from Ali Taylor, Head of Welfare, Battersea Dogs Home.

Quote:
Yesterday one of our dog agility friends experienced a tragedy and wanted me to pass a special message along to all of my dog loving friends and family. Please tell every dog owner you know.

Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased 'Cocoa Mulch' from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden.

Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mum woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that 'It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it.'

Also included was the following information -

Quote:
Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called 'Theobromine'. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die.

Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution, check what you are using in your gardens and be aware of what your gardeners are using in your gardens.

Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

PLEASE GIVE THIS THE WIDEST DISTRIBUTION!!!
jackdeb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG.

Tragic, and sad story. That could have been avoided with a warning.

Never had a garden before. But will be checking ingredients for Theobromine before a purchasing anything fr the new garden.

Jack
Dan McK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's terrible!!! Shocked

I've looked at this before, and considered it because it does smell lovely. Glad I never got any now!!!
geri carroll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats awful

I too have looked at this product for the garden.....maybe being lazy has its advantages as never get around to doing any gardening
amandawhitelaw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG i feel so sorry for the owners of the dog. I cant imagine my life without Yoda. Something so simple could have been done to prevent this tragedy. We have a large garden at the new house and i will double check when the gardner comes that i want to see all packets of products so i can investigate. Or even better i will not allow him to use any products at all.
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warning Kirsty. A really tragic story Crying or Very sad
Joe
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow

How can this be sold without a very specific warning

very sad to read

Crying or Very sad
kendal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone on another forum that i posted the content of this thread lead me to another thread with this info on it, thought you might like to read it.

Quote:
Apple Cores
As the seeds contain Cyanogenic Glycosides which can result in cyanide poisoning pear seeds are the same
Apricot stones contain CG as well so do Cherry stones Plum stones and Peaches

Anti Freeze
This is not only found in cars it is used in garden water features ti keep the water de iced
Instant Baby
Foods Before feeding any baby food to your dog check the ingredients to see if it contains onion powder, which can be toxic to dogs. Feeding baby food in large amounts may result in nutritional deficiencies.

Cooked Bones
Can be very hazardous for your dog. Bones become brittle when cooked which causes them to splinter when broken. The splinters have sharp edges that have been known to become stuck in the teeth, caused choking when caught in the throat or caused a rupture or puncture of the stomach lining or intestinal tract. Especially bad bones are turkey and chicken legs, ham, pork chop and veal.
Raw bones (uncooked in any way) are great and a good sorce of calcium and help keep your dog's teeth healthy by removing plaque. A caution - bones have a high calcium content and too many can cause severe constipation so feed with oil unless your Bevs sister
Bread Dough
When bread dough is ingested your dog's body heat causes the dough to rise in the stomach. During the rising process alcohol is produced as the dough expands. Dogs who have eaten bread dough may experience abdominal pain, bloat, vomiting, disorientation and depression. A pet needs to eat only a small amount to cause a problem, because bread dough can rise to many times its size.
Caffeine
Beverages with caffeine (like tea, coffee) acts as a stimulant and can accelerate your dogs heartbeat to a dangerous level. Dogs drinking caffeine have been known to have seizures, some fatal.
Sugarless Sweets and gum
Sugarless sweets and gum containing xylitol has been recognized to be a risk to dogs This compound can cause liver damage and death in some dogs. This information is recent and some vets may not be familiar with xylitol poisoning.

Cat Food
Cat food is not formulated for canine consumption. It is generally too high in protein and fats and is not a balanced diet for a dog

Chocolate
Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic. When affected by an overdose of chocolate, a dog can become excited and hyperactive. Due to the diuretic effect, it may pass large volumes of urine and it will be unusually thirsty. Vomiting and diarrhea are also common. The effect of theobromine on the heart is the most dangerous effect. Theobromine will either increase the dog’s heart rate or may cause the heart to beat irregularly. Death is quite possible, especially with exercise. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include: vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, hyperactivity, irregular heartbeat and seizures.
Larger quantities of chocolate can poison or even kill a medium or large dog. An ounce or two of chocolate may not seem like much but it can be lethal to a small dog that weighs 10 lbs. or less. After their dog has eaten a large quantity of chocolate, many pet owners assume their pet is unaffected. However, the signs of sickness may not be seen for several hours, with death following within twenty-four hours.
Cocoa powder and cooking chocolate are the most toxic forms. These forms of chocolate contain ten times more theobromine than milk chocolate. Even licking a substantial part of the chocolate icing from a cake can make a dog sick. The next most dangerous forms are semi-sweet chocolate and dark chocolate, with milk chocolate being the least dangerous. A dog needs to eat more than a 250gm block of milk chocolate, however the high amount of fat found in milk chocolate can lead to an attack of pancreatitis.

Corn Cobs
Many dogs have suffered and, in some cases, died after eating corn-on-the-cob, because the corn cob caused a partial or complete intestinal obstruction. Never allow your dog access to corn cobs.

Dairy Products
Most dairy products are digested poorly by dogs who have little or none of the enzyme required to digest the lactose in milk. Just like lactose-intolerant people, lactose-intolerant dogs can develop excessive intestinal flatulence and may have foul-smelling diarrhea. It is best to avoid most dairy products altogether, although small amounts of cheese or plain natural yogurt are tolerated by most dogs, since these products have less lactose than most.

Grapes and Raisins

Although the minimum lethal dosage is not known, grapes and raisins can be very toxic to dogs when eaten. The symptoms are gastrointestinal signs including vomiting and diarrhea, and then signs of kidney failure with an onset of severe kidney collape I personally have not known a dog recover they usually die from kidney failure

Liver
Many dog treats and prepared foods contain liver so it may surprise you to find liver on the bad foods list. In small amounts liver is good for your dog, but if the liver intake is too high it can cause nutritional problems because liver has a high content of vitamin A. Consumption of this vitamin in large amounts can lead to vitamin A toxicity, or hypervitaminosis A. If your dog eats raw liver or consumes three servings of cooked liver a week it could lead to bone problems. Feeding liver to a dog taking Vitimin A supplements can lead to an overdose of Vitamin A.
Symptoms of hypervitaminosis A are deformed bones, excessive bone growth on the elbows and spine, weight loss and anorexia. If left unchecked, hypervitaminosis A has in some cases caused death.
Onions
Onions cause hemolytic anemia, which means that the red blood cells break down leaving the dog short of oxygen. Onion poisoning can occur with a single ingestion of large quantities or with repeated meals containing small amounts of onion. The condition generally improves once the dog is prevented from eating any further onion. The poisoning may occur a few days after the dog has eaten the onion. At first dogs affected by onion poisoning show gastroenteritis with vomiting and diarrhea, weakness and show little or no interest in food. The red pigment from the burst blood cells appears in an affected dog's urine making it dark colored. The dog will experience shortness of breath because the red blood cells that carry oxygen through the body are reduced in number. Other symptoms are elevated body temperature, confusion, and increased heart rate
The quantity of onions, raw or cooked, required is high enough that dogs can generally tolerate small doses of onions without any problem and moderate amounts of onion without apparent signs of onion poisoning. All forms of onion can be a problem including dehydrated onions, raw onions, cooked onions and table scraps containing cooked onions . Left over pizza, Chinese dishes and commercial baby food containing onion,
While garlic also contains the toxic ingredient thiosulphate, it seems that garlic is less toxic and large amounts would need to be eaten to cause illness.
Salt
Iodized salt and salty food can cause stomach problems and pancreatitis Some dogs especially large breeds have been known to drink too much water after eating salty food and have developed a life threatening condition called bloat.

Water
Bet you are surprised to see this listed but there are dangers in stagnant water in ponds bogs lakes and some canals

If I have missed anything feel free to add
Val

kendal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought, but if you have a dog and you pick up a packet that you are going to spread around your garden and you know the dog will have full access to it. would you really want to use a product that has 'cocoa' in the title, knowing that cocoa is bad for dogs and sometimes like in this case fatal. Question

Suzanne H

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you Kendal - good old bark for me.

Tho, it should have a health warning on it - most garden products do tell you what you should and shouldn't put down around pets.

I'm assuming in the second list that there is a difference between bread and bread dough, cos Otto eats bread all the time, usually what the birds have dropped from the bird table.

And surely the amount is a factor with some of these things ie if your dog picked a bit of onion or liver you'd dropped on the floor, he's not going to keel over.
Dave Rowland

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendal, did Inca have too much Coco and was white once?
kendal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:
I'm with you Kendal - good old bark for me.

Tho, it should have a health warning on it - most garden products do tell you what you should and shouldn't put down around pets.

I'm assuming in the second list that there is a difference between bread and bread dough, cos Otto eats bread all the time, usually what the birds have dropped from the bird table.

And surely the amount is a factor with some of these things ie if your dog picked a bit of onion or liver you'd dropped on the floor, he's not going to keel over.

got it one.

yeah its the dough that hasnt been cooked as the alcohol hast bee burned off.

for onion and liver, it is about large quantities, we were talking about this when i was at barony, one of the vet nurses said that she used to see wee old Lady's come in with there cat that was Fed on cooked liver alone nothing else and it would come it with its spine fused together. not nice. but as long as your dog gets a verity and not to much of one thing its is fine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: