Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
cat health

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Other Pet Discussion Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: cat health Reply with quote

one of our cats Murphy has lost weight, but i cant tell if its just fat he has lost or if it is mussel too. as he is rather boney at to moment which i dont like. (he has always been a cuddly cat but never a fat cat)

he has also bee struggling going to the toilet, in fact i still haven't seen him go yet. (all our cat are mainly out door cats they only coming in at night and are put in their own crate so we don't have litter trays in the house)

his stomach also feels completely different to the other two as he has some firm mass' in his stomach. but his apatite is normal he has always been a grubber.

i understand that he is getting on a bit as I'm sure he is at least hitting 10. i don't want to rush to the vet over nothing but at the same time i don't like how he looks and feels.

anyone had this problem with a cat.

Lorna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Kendal. I have never had this problem. I hope it is resolved soon.
Craig/Tracy
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendal, i would take the cat to the vet just for a checkup as it would do no harm but the same thing happened to Craigs mums cat but nothing was wrong with her but still she worried until she got the all clear from the vet Very Happy let us know how you get on Smile
kendal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what di the vet say was up with his mums cat.

he seems fine in himself, in fact he is with me just now curled up on the couch in between Inca and Echo. i just dont like what im feeling.

kendal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh forgot to say he dosnt squirmier make any noise when i squeeze the mass in his stomach, dont know if that is a good or a bad sine.

Craig/Tracy
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendal you will know yourself, if you have a feeling then she may have a viral infection/urine infection etc, Craigs mums cat was just getting old and always curled up on couch and just could not be bothered with the grand kids etc ,she lost alot of weight and was also very boney which was unlike her cause she also is a grubber and loves her food, she also seemed to have bumps all under her skin but don't know if this was just noticed because of the weight loss but vet said nothing to worry about but Craigs mum Janice knew that cats were prone to tumors so had it checked anyway Smile
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll only be recommending a vets visit on this one kendal. It could be nothing more than constipation but I honestly feel a check over is worth while just to be on the safe side. 2 of mine went this way when they hit 10. I sadly lost both aged 11. One from Renal Failure and 1 from Stomach tumours.

I DON'T want you fretting un-necessarily though please as they had other symptoms too. BOTH suddenly had increased appetites - Tiggy was constantly scrounging for food and she'd never done that her entire life plus her tummy was constantly gurgling - classic signs I now know. Sad Smellycat was worse. She started drinking vast quantities of water peeing and puking wherever she happened to be - her sick was very dark brown no matter what she had had to eat. Both lost body mass very quickly despite very healthy appetites and their eyes stood out lots as they lost muscle mass on their heads too - don't get me wrong they weren't skeletal but to me it was very noticable - others didn't notice it but you know your own pets.

As you haven't indicated anything like what I saw with my 2 I am hopeful it IS just the age issue - will you please promise me you'll try not to worry, as I would hate to think I had done that to you and also to let me know how you get on?xxxxxxxx
kendal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not lumps under his skin, its like his stomach or intestine are swollen up or some thing but i dont know what it is i am feeling as i dont feel any thing similar in the other two.

Craig/Tracy
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendal, really could be old age but honestly would get it checked out asap to put your mind at rest if anything but please let us know who the wee soul gets on Wink
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kendal wrote:
its not lumps under his skin, its like his stomach or intestine are swollen up or some thing but i dont know what it is i am feeling as i dont feel any thing similar in the other two.

Tiggy's tumours weren't discernable kendal - the whole area was pretty solid BUT please don't fret on this as like I said she had other very distinct symptoms that your cat isn't showing. Wink
graceb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say see a vet especially if you have not noticed him going to the toilet, it could be nothing but it could be crystals in his bladder which would prevent him being able to go to the toilet. that happened to one of my cats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Other Pet Discussion Area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: