Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Difficult dog grooming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Difficult dog grooming Reply with quote

Hi all, its karen here, not john. We have a 19 month old female shih tzu who is very difficult to groom. I spoke to my vet who gave me tablets to try with her, they didn't work, the last time she was groomed was October, she now resembles the dulux dog Embarassed Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks karen
Gaelle
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you speak to a professional groomer and see what they suggest as they are used to dealing with all sorts of dogs.
kendal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is difficult about Cordelia, has she always been like this or has it only just started.

has the groomer ever said that she can be a hand full. is it a certain part of her body that is a problem.

what happens when you got to groom her,

sorry for all the questions but the more info the essayer to give the right advice.

John Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last twice i got her groomed the groomer has phoned me after maybe 20 minutes, cordelia turns from being sweet and loving into being vicious, growling, biting, it seems to be the whole process. I've tried myself at home, bathing her, brushing her and she just goes mental. Any advice would be appreciated

thanks

karen
John Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, she has always been like this
kendal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you say she turns like jekel to hide, is there a certain point in the proses that triggers it. ie seeing the brush or hearing the watter running.

have you tried brushing her when she is sleeping or relaxed like wanting a tummy rub. you could try a hand mit, not the best but it should get her used to you touching her and attempting to brush her.

do you know if your groomer mussels her, not nice i know but it might be an option. ask you groomer what their thaughts on the matter i doubt its the first time the groomer will have had a dog that dosnt like being groomed.

John Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried all of the above including the muzzle, which she managed to get out of. If i try at home she starts growling as soon as she sees the brush or whatever is in my hand coming toward her. Short of getting the vet to sedate her i dont know what else to try.
kendal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is she like when your not grooming her, like if your sitting watching tv dose she come up and let you pet her, play with her ears, etc.
dose she let you touch her feet or better yet give paw.

what is your reaction when she dose growl, i take it you are obviously hesitant to go near her when she shows sines that she doesn't want you too.

its hard to give advice with out without seeing the behavior, is their a dog trainer near you who you can visit or can come to you to help you one to one.

dose she show any interest in treats of any kind when grooming. ie having john holding a treat to distract her while you work on her.

do you have a certain spot where grooming takes place, if you do, take her there but dont attempt to groom her, give her treats or a faveret toy. then take her away and bring her back latter. and repeat. this should make her think that the grooming spot is a good place to be.

if that is stating to work, bring in a brush and leave it next to her. if she goes to to sniff it praise her and treat her so she learns the brush is good.

then i would say its just time and getting her to see each step as a good thing.

can she jump in the bath, or do you have a stool she can get on to get into the bath. if so make it a game. make the bath a fun place to be.

i know this is alot and is easyer said than done, but it will be about time and Patience and you need to show her your not scared of her.
has she bitten or is it just lunging, if not do you think she would bite if you didnt pull back.

Dave Rowland

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen, good to see u on here... let Kendal have a look at Cordilla, you never know she might calm her down a bit or do some classes and get the dog talking to other dogs. Here's me the expert speaking lol
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mylo used to be like this, I started grooming him when he was just in from a long walk so he was tired and relaxed and I put his to front paws on a table and groomed him from behind. We used to get a groomer that said that Mylo was a nightmare, we then changed to a different groomer who said he is great until his front paws are being clipped and brushed at which point she puts a muzzle on him then takes it back off. Mylo is great now and loves to get brushed which is great, hope you manage to groom there is nothing worse Sad
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen,

the key is to make grooming a positive thing.......have her hungry......lift out the brush and sit it down.....give her a food reward.....do this often....slowly getting the brush closer.....quickly she will associate the brush with treats......can you run your hands over her back? if so do this and treat her.......slowly you will get her accepting the brush close to her....then lift the brush and treat..........

You will get the idea.......this system works with anything.........this link show it being taught to a dog who does not like it's collar grabbed.

http://leerburg.com/playem.htm?name=flv/collargrab.flv

Hope this made sense and helps.

John
Vikki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say it all works. Ella is still not 100% OK with being brushed, but she is definitely better than she was. At first I couldn't bath her at all, and she would just flip if I so much as picked up the brush.
Now I can bath her with only a little growling, and as long as I muzzle her I don't get bitten when washing her tail.
I can even use the towel to dry her a little. Her hair is still a mess where the worst of the tangles are, and I have to muzzle her, but I can sit with her on my lap and brush her sides now. If someone had told me this six weeks ago, I would never have believed it!

So... keep at it, be patient. One of the things that the guys suggested to me - and has worked a a treat - is to leave the brush on the floor near some of her treats, that way she got used to the brush being around and didn't completely hare off whenever i picked it up. I eventually built this up to having the brush on the sofa when Ella was on my knee, and then i would pick the brush up and pet her with my other hand until eventually I could brush her gently with the brush.
Don't get me wrong there are still snappy moments, but I am more confident that with a little more time she'll make huge improvements. Good luck Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: