Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Over freindly now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaelle
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Over freindly now. Reply with quote

This may seem like a trivial question but I need advice on it anyway. Since Martin has been ill there are a lot more people coming around the house and Cuthbert has by and large lost a lot of his shyness with people. All well and good but now he is almost the opposite and can be embarrassingly friendly at times, trying to clamber all over people and not taking a telling, even if I put him on the lead , as soon as my attention is not completely focused on him he lunges at the visitor and I have now nearly always got to remove him from the room until the visitor leaves. He usually (though not always) listens to Martin. I know I have to re establish some control as this behaviour is NOT acceptable. He is usually much more responsive to me out on walks, it's just indoors that is the issue. He's also started whining a bit for no obvious reason, I've tried giving him and exercise and interaction but it's getting confusing for me to understand what he wants now. Suggestions please? Thank you.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-information/cesar-millan-dog-whisperer/article_jump.aspx

Hail Cesar.

The larger problem with jumping up and whining is attention seeking and not being firm enough - he's not being friendly, he's telling them he's the boss of this house.

Young, pushy, energetic dogs need to be taught how to behave around guests, they don't just pick it. Tell your guests to shove him off or stand up without speaking to him, touching him or looking at him. And do it as often as it takes for him to get fed up and go away.

They then call him over, get him to sit and give him a treat/clap.

If you're worried for them, take his collar and take him to his basket or beside you, and get him to sit and stay. Put the lead on if you have to. If he is calm, they can call him over. But any bad behavour is not tolerated by either them or you.

And if he won't calm down, turf him out of the room or outside. He's not allowed to participate unless he's calm and it's on your terms.

It does work in the end - but if you get wound up, just makes it worse. Calm and no nonsense. We had this problem for a while, but Otto's fine now. He's friendly without being pushy.
Jack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lot ALL love to greet guests by jumping all over them and slobbering them silly HOWEVER this is ONLY allowed by me if my guests are happy with such effusive behaviour - most of my friends love this greeting and encourage the dogs in it often doing as I do and roll around the floor with them - going so far to TRY and tell me off if I am trying to reign the dogs in a bit so I tell them - on their head be it - NO complaints if they get an unexpected frenchie! Very Happy

However, IF I have guests who aren't used to dogs or don't like to be greeted in such an OTT manner my dogs ARE controlled by me and are much gentler in their eventual greetings. Ultimately there is NO doubt that Mark & I are the Pack Leaders and that we will NOT tolerate being disobeyed by any one of them - even little Miss Stupid Laughing If they don't reign it in when I instruct them and block them when necesssary they are sent on their beds and made to stay there until in a calmer state - works for us and I have 3 of the rabid beasts to control Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sorry Gaelle but as I have said many times he's pushing the boundaries simply because he CAN. Because of circumstances his discipline hasn't been all that it should be so you really have to work at getting this under control and quick. You and Martin have to present a united front and tell the big soft lad just what is and isn't acceptable - no choice in the matter I'm afraid - you have to stop this in it's tracks before it goes well out of control. Good luck.xxx
Gaelle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both of you for the advice, I meant to thank you earlier but my brain's still scrambled and I'm keep forgetting to do things Embarassed I even forgot Cub's vet appointment the other day despite phoning earlier to confirm the time of it Embarassed Embarassed Anyway a united front is being presented and certainly with things like pestering us for our food he is getting the message,and visitors are a work in progress. Razz Razz
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news Gaelle keep it going - you're NOT being cruel by enforcing boundaries you are taking A LOT of stress off him and ultimately everyone else so if you need to toughen up even more just do it. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: