Google Search
Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Bones, puppy teeth & my poor finger! Advice!?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I cope? - ahhhh they're sooooo worth the effort hun. They give me an enormous amount of fun, love and pleasure Smile

My little boy is only half Staffie, no idea what daddy was but he's weak tummied too. I think that Staffs generally DO have weak tummies but my first Mitzi had a cast iron tum til she contracted Cushings. She used to eat curries for goodness sake. Proper Indian curries - none of this weak crap for her - this lot I have now would only need to be sniffing one to get the squits Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing

Rawhide is out of the equation in this house, as are pigs ears. They all LOVE them but Rosie gets bored of chewing and tries to swallow them all soggy and chewed up but practically whole. I lost count of the amount of times I have shoved my hand down her throat and dragged them out to allow her to breathe and stop her choking Sad I don't ever give one a treat without giving the same to the others so now they have organic dog biccies from Pero and they ADORE them. I went looking for some Nylabones at the weekend but none of the pet stores I went to had them for sale Mad so I'm searching online now for some that are reasonably priced as their teeth are a bit manky and need some help. Brushing only gets so much off but I have now purchased a proper dental de-scaler so I shall be attacking them with that one night this week when I fancy a battle Laughing Laughing Laughing
Emma Hardie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing curries?! thats amazing!

haha you wonder why they dont walk away from them when they get bored. . i suppose dogs arent ones to leave food behind

Nylabones are good for the enthusiastic chewers, but my lot get bored of them in 5 mins.
a de scaler Surprised i didnt know you could get such a thing!
does that mean i wasted 100 quid on kts dental treatment Evil or Very Mad
typical!

Emma, KT the greyhound, Robbie the lurcher, Pheonix (Pisces) & Soho (Stuart Little Junior) the Chihuahuas x
greyhounds make greyt pets! x
www.gal.org.uk
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was growled at twice when Otto was around one, but they were slightly different and so I treated it differently.

I told him to move off the stair and he growled. That was him trying to tell me I couldn't move him. He soon found out that moving voluntarily was better than being dragged off very forcibly and banned to the kitchen.

Another time he growled when I went near his food, so I just spent a few days putting bits of chicken in. Positive reinforcement worked better than correction in that circumstance. I didn't want to stress him out about eating in front of me.

I have never seen a repeat in either circumstance. I think with the bone, the "I'm the boss" option is better than the "I'm not a threat" option .
Jack

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma Hardie wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing curries?! thats amazing!

haha you wonder why they dont walk away from them when they get bored. . i suppose dogs arent ones to leave food behind

Nylabones are good for the enthusiastic chewers, but my lot get bored of them in 5 mins.
a de scaler Surprised i didnt know you could get such a thing!
does that mean i wasted 100 quid on kts dental treatment Evil or Very Mad
typical!

You can get them from Boots love - just a dental tool for humans but safe to use IF you have.... a steady hand, endless patience and a willing dog.

I've got none of the above so wish me luck!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: