Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Dog attack
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elaine erskine
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your kind posts of support and all the advice you have given has been taken on board and will give it all some thought. But am still clearly afraid to go out walking with Angel and I blame myself for not trying hard enough. I am really scared and was attacked by a dog myself as a small child and this has brought back so many hurts and fears in me and this I do not want this to rub of on angel. I tried to take her out the other day and she just digs her feet in and will not move she also does this with my parents to. Im at my witts end with it all; and really don't know whether to take her to the vet or not? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Elaine
Emma Hardie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry to hear this - it always gets to me when this happens to dogs and owners because the same thing happened to my Robbie 6 years ago, and we've been to hell and back because of one owners irresponsible actions. He had it all after the attack - Screaming, lunging, barking, going beserk at the mere sight of another dog, and even became terrified of people and biting us. We can have a little joke about it now, but it was the hardest 6 years of my life getting through his fear aggression.

We've tried everything over the years to help Robbie
, but the only thing that has made a big difference is the clicker (which i use to train him anyway). Each time we see another dog he gets a click and a treat + pretty soon he started looking at me for a treat whenever we see another dog! He will never be 100% (alothough he was EXTREMELY traumatized by his attack, more men, tally scarred than anything) but our walks are 1000 times calmer now + rob can meet dogs off the lead. He can also walk past people, and no longer snaps as a first reaction - he will duck out the way if people try to touch him (and our relationship is so much stronger after this - something positive).
Also, he now lives with plenty of dogs!

I hope angel is doing well and again I really feel your pain.
Maybe the clicker will work for you? If it can work for my devil dog, I'm sure it'd do her good!

Emma, KT the greyhound, Robbie the lurcher, Pheonix (Pisces) & Soho (Stuart Little Junior) the Chihuahuas x
greyhounds make greyt pets! x
www.gal.org.uk
Isabel
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe her favourite treats to get her out of the house, if you could meet up for one of the walks that might help, can you get to the glen?
elaine erskine
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the glen is that down at cumbernauld house? if so yes it takes about 20mins walk from where I stay. I always try and get her out every day and I do take a bag of treats with me and I do what you do I give her 1 every time i pass a dog or another person and 90% of the time it is successful but she is still very scared. We used to walk between 5-10miles daily and we loved it but now its a fight and not enjoyable; I will persevere as I am not a quitter and Angel deserves her walks regardless of how long it takes to complete them and my Angel means the world to me and will try anything to get her through this rough time.

Elaine
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably need something to distract you both so you can get past the initial steps out the front door.

Treats or a toy and get her focusing on you and just gradually build the length of the walk back up. Stick local, do a few circuits of it, even if it's just to the end of the road and back.

If you are confident and jolly then hopefully Angel will pick up on it.
elaine erskine
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

success Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy went a small circuit walk today with Angel and initially she was a bit hesitant but I started to skip and sing with her and she was wagging her tail jumping along with me until she saw 2 dogs a GSD who's owner I knew and a collie; initially she sniffed them and touched noses with the tail wagging until the collie approached her back end and she completely went berserk and cowered. I explained to the owners what happened and they were sympathetic and controlled their dogs; angel soon calmed down and they all played ever so well afterward. I was so pleased with her that I showered her with treats and bought her a new toy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy. I don't know if I did right but It sure felt right and she was happy for the rest of the night.

Elaine
kendal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic, glad it went well.

i don't think their are strict right and wrong ways to deal with situations, if it worked for you then that is fab, keep it up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: