Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Puppy peeing us off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzanne H
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Puppy peeing us off Reply with quote

Rudi gets his tea around 6.30 and I lift the water at 8pm. He goes out for a pee at 11 then into his crate. However, he is barking at 2am and 5 am EVERY night. As he's only 16 weeks, I do go and let him out and he does pee, then settles down again - well not at 5am, he barks for 20 mins but is just ignored.

But on the odd occasions he's gone from 11 to 6 dry so I know he's capable of going more than 3 hours.

He's been terrible for peeing in his crate. I did half the size of it with a panel and it's reduced it, but he's still doing it even if he's done a pee and he's only been on his own a max of 2 hours.

He does drink a lot during the day, which I put down to the fact it's summer, he's on dry food and he's chasing Otto round the garden. But yesterday, after 2 dry days and nights (albeit it with 2 night trips) he peed in the house 4 times. He knows what pee pee means and has been going to the door, but just stood in the ktichen and peed.

I know not to expect too much of him yet, but I think it's as a result of the amount of water he drinks during the day. But am wary about restricting it, because he obviously wants it. Am wary of letting him bark at night, because he'll pee his crate.

Any tips? We are exhausted!!! We are washing 2 beds a day. Could there be something wrong with him? If he wasn't peeing when I let him out, he'd be left to bark as I think he's partly at it. He's a very strong willed little boy.

He's also incredibly greedy.
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor you, Suzanne! This sounds like Hektor when he was younger. I was at the end of my tether with the broken sleep. He eventually grew out of it. I wouldnt like to restrict his water either.

Sorry, no helpful advice other than trying to tire him out before bed so he'll hopefully forget he needs, maybe he's enjoying the attention at that time in the morning...naughty boy! Smile

Good luck!

Lisa
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he's like his big brother - Otto tolerated the crate, but was very vocal when he felt it was not time to sleep. So I know when they're at it.

I think maybe Otto was just very good...and was also a month older when we got him which probably explains why it's going on and on and on and on.

I was just wondering if the drinking so much was an issue. I suspect not because in every other way the wee tyke is full of beans. And he's probably running around more than Otto was as he has a partner in crime and just needs more.
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are probably right about the drinking. I know Hektor is big but he drinks gallons of water a day, more than any other dog I have known. I was concerned at first, thinking he had some dire kidney complaint but it is just how he is, as well as being on dry food. When he was a wee pup all he did was carry on with Ollie!

I suppose if you are worried you could always get the Vet to test a blood sample..

Lisa
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's like having kids, if you remembered how bad it was you'd only ever have one Laughing

Otto is so good, we just forget how much it took to get him there.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going to take Rudi to the vet for a check up - just in case.

yesterday, he didn't get any water after 7pm - peed his bed during the night, peed at 4am, 6am, 6.20am, 6.40am, 7am......you get the picture.

I think he's healthy, but just going to check he doesn't have a UTI.

I cleaned up Otto's pee about 3 times EVER!!! With Rudi it's 3 times an hour.
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to take a urine sample with you...shouldnt be a problem with Rudi! Smile

Hope he's Ok

Lisa
Craig/Tracy
Site Addict

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ignore because if he barks and you come he would just keep doing it as they are so not daft lmao Very Happy ,Enzo tried and if it worked he kept on doing it but i know where you are coming from as Tasha drinks loads of water constantly but she is an old lady and can hold it in obviously because she is older god bless her ,i so hope he grows out of it as i am sure he will, i always say they are harder than babies as i know i have had three girls Wink
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah!

After a trip to the docs and a course of antibiotics Rudi has stopped peeing every five minutes.

No peed beds for 5 days and last night there was no barking until 6.30. He's also into a routine now, so hopefully the worst is over.
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yippee!!

Glad that his 'wee' problem was easily sorted. Maybe you'll get some sleep now! Smile

Lisa
ShirleyB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: One step forward 2 back Reply with quote

Felt I was getting somewhere toilet training Ria .... using the pads and seems successful. Morning routine is out for a wee and number 2 and try to keep taking her out at regular times, she does indicate by wandering about a bit, so we generally let her out and she does her stuff. But just recently she's started weeing off the pad especially if she's left in say for an hour!! So not like her at all. Need to do what next?

I know she's only a pup ........ but would like to see progress come.

Also having problems now Ria can get about, she can jump up onto the chair in the kitchen and then up to the table, and started chewing placemats, chair legs.

I did try freezing a wet tea towel and leave that for her to chew on but other than move the kitchen furniture out, what else can I try?

Open to any suggestions! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoken about crate training on the other link.

But specifically about toilet training, I really do think a crate is the best option as they don't want to pee in the crate. But I halved mine as the pup was peeing at the far end and he only gets an old towel to lie on as he was peeing then flipping the vet bed over.

Now the UTI has cleared up, we have no pee in the crate and he's going from 11 to 6 (tho sometimes he's forgets to poo at 11 adn barks half an hour later!!!). There is still the odd accident if we don't get him outside after he's been playing with his big brother, but really it just comes down to paying attention.

You have to tell them what you want them to do - so for us we tell him "pee pee" regularly anyway and take him out. then he gets a treat. So he's made the connection himself now...and goes to the door or jumps up.

I've never used pads because I personally wanted to make the connection with "pee outdoors" from day one. Means for the first few months you do have to be there though which we were fortunately able to do., or at least every few hours.

Now
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: