Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Giles lacking confidence when out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ross/Ali
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Giles lacking confidence when out Reply with quote

strange one this...

over the past week, i have noticed Giles being nervous when out on walks and odd things around the house.

I had put it down to the weather earlier in the week as every time i was out, we would get hit by torrential rain and he wasn't liking it. Just had him out there and he was off lead with a woman walking towards us with her dog on a short lead. He stopped, looked distressed and wouldn't walk past this dog.
The woman stopped and edged onto the grass to give him some room, but he was really nervous. I had to go up to the other dog and clap it then invite him over... he eventually walked by but was only because I was really encouraging him.

Other things that have happened this week is he just stopped dead in his tracks while we were out up a really dark path, but there was nothing around.

He's never been like this with other dogs unless they show aggression towards him and has always been known around the neighbourhood as a brave little dog and I cant for the life of me think of any 'incidents' that would have made him like this.

Is it just a case of him growing up and realising he's not invincible ?
Was hoping he would transfer his temperament onto little Holly when she arrives next weekend

R
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otto has developed into being quite shy as an adult. Partly his nature I think (his litter mate is quite similar) but he also injured his side while playing with dogs a year ago - nothing to do with the dogs, he just snagged himself on a twig or a wire while running about. This changed him and he gets quite nervous in similar environments and situations.

He's happy if he has room to run round people or dogs he'd rather avoid, and it's not all people or dogs.

If he's trapped, we step in between and keep moving forward at pace and don't make a fuss of him...his instinct to follow us is stronger than his woosiness.

You never know what they pick up on. Just try not to escalate it by reinforcing the behaviour, while at the same time not forcing him into situations he's clearly uncomfortable with.

Otto backs right away if a child approaches him....but if the child just stands there and lets him sniff, he is fine. As a pup he was all over them...I don't know why he changed...probably he just wasn't exposed to enough of them at that crucial age as we don't have kids. He's fine with adults.
Ross/Ali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might try and get to the next club walk where all the other dogs are their to see how he reacts.

you'll need to post some up to date photos of the two of them Suzanne.
we cant wait to see how Giles reacts to the new kid on the block.

which reminds me...

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwwwwwwwww - a new baby!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

ADORABLE!!!!! Kisses to little Giles. Don't know what's set this off but Suzanne's right - don't pander to it and it won't escalate stay calm & focussed and encourage him onwards whether that be by body language or voice, doesn't matter - just use what works for you Wink
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from the Glen with Giles and Millie. They had a great time running about together...when did Giles start chasing squirrels??? Giles seemed back to his usual self...we met a few other dogs and he didnt seem scared...he went up to them and said hello fine. It has been a lovely day tho very cold. Smile

Lisa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: