Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Cost to spay?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShirleyB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Cost to spay? Reply with quote

Hi sorry not been on in ages, all is well with Ria.

She went into heat last week, so thought I'd see about having her spayed but wandered what is the cost for that and other info on it would be good.
Alan and Lynsey
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we just got bella spayed on Tuesday and it cost £165, she is 5 1/2 months old and never had her first season. there are different views on spaying a bitch some say have the first season some say don't, we were in the don't column.

bella was very tired on Tuesday but by Wednesday morning she was back to normal, the main thing is to keep them calm but as many of you know its not so easy to keep a puppy calm.

Alan, Lynsey, Meg, Peanut and new arrival Bella
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like alan had all three of mine done at 5 and a half months and it cost us £135 for each.....like alan says there are different views on when to spay. i let my last two dogs have one season and then had them spayed....they got to a decent age of 12 but both died of mammary cancer and was informed my by vet it was likely due to having them spayed late and that prompted me to have my current bitches done before a season so time will tell as they get older.....all going well they will pass with old age and not anything nasty!

i do think it is a personal choice and will also depend on what your vet believes.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am right in saying that the cost depends mainly on the size/weight of the dog........larger dogs need more anesthetic.
Remember costs are not set in stone and vets are competing for your custom.

john
Jack
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John's right in that it costs more to spey bigger dogs but just for anaesthetic. Costs are pretty standard - we had our girls done years ago and it was about £140 mark for each of them (they're Staffies and were full grown when we got them done).

Vets charge pretty similar rates for the ops - there are mild variances in price but I would ALWAYS recommend you use a vet you trust to take the best possible care of your dog and don't go just to the cheapest. They also won't budge on the price - they don't "do" price matching in my experience - the price is the price and that's it.

It is best to get your dogs done young to reduce the risk of mammary cancers, pyometra, and even diabetes (70% of dogs who develop diabetes are actually unspeyed bitches). Janis - I think your vet was harsh with you - although there is a scientifically proven link that mammary cancer risk is heightened the more seasons the dog has there is NO evidence that a bitch speyed prior to having even one season could or would avoid it. Cancer is a vile disease that can strike anyone or anything and even if you do absolutely everything in your power to prevent it - it isn't a guarantee it won't strike. I don't think it was very nice that your vet laid that at your door so to speak Mad Your girls might well have gotten that illness even if you HAD had them speyed prior to season 1. Sad

With speying prior to season 1 there are also inherent risks - the bitch may be sexually immature making the op very risky - all sorts of things have been known to go wrong including causing problems with their bladders & urinary tracts because their insides weren't developed sufficiently to allow the op to go smoothly.
I think you have to make your own judgement call, guided by the vet who will be doing the op. I trust my vets implicitly so always take on board what they say when making a decision. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: