Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
No appetite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShirleyB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: No appetite Reply with quote

Wish it was me who had no appetite as I need to shed the extra pounds from over the holiday period, but it is Ria who just the last two days sniffs her food but won't eat it.

I thought maybe after visiting different friends & relatives she's been given a few titbits and thought she maybe fussy.

Does anyone have any suggestions? or Should I take her to the vet?
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi shirley......is she still drinking?

i wouldn't head straight for the vet right now....i'd give it another day or so..............can you think of anything that might have triggered it?.......is she still full of life or is she lethargic?

is she still going to the loo....what is she passing?
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Janis says there is no need to panic.as long as she is drinking and not 'ill' she will eat when hungry.

Try not to pander to her.......keep he feeding routine as normal.

john
Craig C

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo could try worming her. Bran went off his food for 2-3 days in December and it turned out to be worms, even though he wasn't due to be wormed for another month.

Bran's Photo's
ShirleyB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Ria Reply with quote

Hi
I wormed Ria before Christmas and she's been lively enough epecially whilst its been snowing I can't get her in she loves it and tries to eat the snow/ice, and kinda snorts through it all which sounds funny.

She isn't really drinking either other than trying to eat the hard snow.

She has moments of boundless energy but been sleeping alot, so don't know what else to do.

I've been putting her food out and she'll sniff it and walk away, I tried hand feeding her some yesterday which she ate so thought she'd get a taste for it and eat the rest, but no.

I gave her a couple of gravy bones in her crate yesterday morning before I went out and when I came back she had eaten them.

She went for a number two this morning when I let her out, and pee's no problem when she gets out.

If I'm eating she is always curious to see if she'll get a bit, constantly sniffing about me. Over the holidays she did get a couple of wee things off friends and family but not alot as I wouldn't allow it, in case she started getting fussy over her food, which is what I thought had happend so scratching my head as what I should do.

Also thanks so much for replying I know I've not been along but all sorts of things have come up that have stopped me getting there.

Rolling Eyes
Ross/Ali
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This must be painful to watch.

I am no expert but dogs (horses) stop eating for all number of reasons such as stress or a change to routine but of course you can't rule out illness!

I wouldn't hand feed as tempting as this may be as you could encourage behaviour that may be difficult to change later. I agree with the others, stick to routine. Put the food down and leave it 15 minutes if it isn't eaten remove it but give access to water at all times. You could try smaller portions??

If it was me I would leave it 1-2 days before seeking veterinary advice to see if she starts eating again but that is easy for me to say. If you need to put your mind at rest I would call and ask to speak with your vet.

My horse has a habit of going off his food and this has been because of all number of reasons like his food bucket smells different or he has been moved to a different stable with new neighbours, but last month he had a displacement colic and had to be admitted to vet school.

Trust that you know your animal and you know what to do for the best.

I hope she starts eating soon.

Ali
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: