Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Scared of children

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaelle
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Scared of children Reply with quote

Cuthbert seems to be getting increasingly frightened of children,for no reason that we can think of, and taking him out for a walk when there are children around is becoming more difficult. Today he nearly choked himself trying to get away in the opposite direction to them. It's not just when he sees them but even if we go for a walk and there are children playing out of sight in a playground, he can hear them and just wants to go home and quickly at that. How do I proceed with this? Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Janis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry gaelle i can't think of anything off hand other than socialization .......even if you could get one or two kids to gently approach him or stand with their back to him with a treat in their hand for him and slowly but surely he might realise that kids mean good things.................again not an overnight fix ............with everything it takes time.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otto's not that keen on kids - mostly because we don't have any so he's never been around them much. He ok with them in the house and garden as long as he can go to them rather than the other way round.

Knowing this, we're careful with kids when he's outside and on the lead but do take any opportunity to get him to engage with them - we tell them to stand still and hold their hand out with a treat. But if he's not interested we don't force it. Rudy is quite happy to take all their attention anyway!

But don't reinforce the behaviour - jolly him along and don't pander to him.
Gaelle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Janis and Suzanne, he didn't used to bother one way or another about children and I would take him a walk up to the school so's he was around them and not fazed. He was never too keen when they were in his house and would run away but gradually seemed to get over it but this extreme reaction has come on suddenly . Ah well just have to keep taking it slowly and calmly as before and just reintroduce children slowly.
When I tried just walking calmly on he was OK for a short spell then he got worse and worse and nearly strangled himself. No chance I'm putting him/us through THAT again so slowly does it. Sad
Gaelle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a EUREKA moment the other day when I realised the cause of his problem. It's not just children but centred on a bad fright he got one day when we were up at the school and the caretaker pulled down one of those roller shutters unexpectedly from behind us. Cubs nearly jumped out of his skin!! When I think back to it he has never been very comfortable up that way since and he knows all the sounds associated with a school, children, shouting,roller shutter noises (industrial type sounds) so I now feel he is putting them all together and while he can cope with each sound individually if 2 or more elements converge then it is too much for him. I think it is back to the "scary sounds" CD for him which he used when he was a pup and just build it up gradually.
At least I feel a bit happier now I can identify a cause and presumably gradually get him over this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: