Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Help with older dog and new puppy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donnac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Help with older dog and new puppy Reply with quote

Hi

Hoping somebody can help here . We have a 4 year old boarder collie who is very spoiled and not keen on other dogs. He barks at them if he is on the lead but is really a coward as runs when he is off the lead . We are getting a new puppy next week and are wondering how best to introduce them . We have already put the puppy crate in the living room and bought the collie a new bed which is in the kitchen behind a puppy gate so that he can get peace from the new arrival. But he looks at both items suspiciously and if we point them out to him he growls (although he is wagging his tail at same time. Hoping they will become good friends and companions for each other any hints will be much appreciated
charlene
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think classes would be good for dodger so he can get use to being around lots of other dogs

when i first took tina to classes she was quite unsure about being round other dogs and she has really came out her shell since ive started to socialize her Very Happy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would introduce them outside on 'neutral' ground before bringing them into the house together.....this will help avoid confrontation.
what type of dog is the new puppy? Are both male? You say 'spoiled' ? In what way?

john
Donnac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
I would introduce them outside on 'neutral' ground before bringing them into the house together.....this will help avoid confrontation.
what type of dog is the new puppy? Are both male? You say 'spoiled' ? In what way?

john

Hi John

thanks for idea never thought of introducing on neutral ground

older dog is collie , new puppy is siberian huskie

older dog is dpoiled by myself hubbie and 3 kids who all treat him like a baby , he is the only dog in the family. He has actually just started growling in last few weeks dont know if he senses something happening

any help would be much appreciated

cheers

Donna
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you treat a dog like a baby you are heading for problems......collies are working dogs......they tend to have lots of issues when not treated like a dog.

I am in no way suggesting you are cruel to the dog, quite the opposite, instinct tells them to move up the pack order if there is no clear leaders.........starting to growls at people is a BIG warning! For the dogs own good I would have a look at implementing some pack order in the house.

john
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were guilty with our now 6 month Staffy pup Millie of spoiling her. We were letting her up on the couch for cuddles etc. About 4 weeks ago she started getting a bit too cocky...she growled at Laura (my 6 year old) when she went to move her off the seat. All privileges now have been revoked! She is NOT allowed up on the couch, gets fed last after everyone including us and our Great Dane Hektor have eaten and I try to make her wait to go through doorways etc behind me. Her 'stay' is not great but we are working on it. This really helped. There have been no other issues with Laura and no more growling.

I would try to read the pack leader stuff on the forum. The guilt about the dog maybe having hurt feelings will pass and you will all (including the dog) be much happier.

Good luck!

Lisa
kerry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, yeah i would def try the pack order out, especuially if getting a husky( especialy if a boy) as it will def need to be shown, has helped us loads with our 2 sibes who are both naturally dominant dogs. they will always look at ways in which to get to the top.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We brought a new pup in last summer and our older dog was 2. Much of it depends on your set up and your dog, but this is our experience and they are both settled and happy with each other and with us.

Our older dog pretty much ignored the interloper for about 2 months. He would just walk off and looked miserable, but we kept his routine the same, spent time with him on his own and gave him peace from the puppy. He also had to learn that the puppy was part of the family and he had to get used to him, so we didn't pander to him.

But we made sure the pup fitted into our and the older dog's routines and rules as much and as quickly as possible. Its much better in the long run and eases the stress on the older dog and the pup soon learns.

And we didn't intervene in their interactions too much. They soon work it out for themselves if left to get on with it. Our vet said "Only intervene if you think surgery might be required".....ie if they get too worked up, step in. Reminds them who's boss.

We make sure that any time they have together is supervised. A crate is vital - that way you can put the puppy away to give everyone, including him, a rest and it means you don't have to worry about them both when you're out/asleep.

The big dog knows the rules and he does half the work for us. He hauls the pup off the sofa, he taught him not to nip, and the pup copies him in training. It's very funny. But make sure you train and interact with the puppy on his own - bosses do not have four legs in our house, so he needs to pay attention to you first, not the other dog.

Don't under exercise the big one or over exercise the wee one - our pup is 9mths and is only now getting to run with teh big boy but it won't be until he's one that he will get up a mountain or to run with the bike which the big boy loves.

And though ours are the same breed, both males and from the same lineage - they are very different. Our older one isn't that food driven, but the wee one would sell his soul for a biscuit. Makes him easier to train. Just work out what floats their boat and make it work for you.

Tired dogs are good dogs!! That's my main motto in life. But they are definitely dogs not babies and they need rules and routine....it keeps them calm and well-behaved. And you need that even more with two of them otherwise you just have 2 brats instead of one.

Ours sleep downstairs, don't get on the bed or the couch, always sit before they get anything, know not to beg, will lie down when they're told, etc etc. otherwise...double trouble!!
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I thought about...dont tell your older dog off if he growls at the pup (within reason of course). The pup will need to learn the rules...doggy rules too. Hektor (our Great Dane) can be dog aggressive so we were unsure how he would react to a new pup. He surprised us all. He was very gentle but took no nonsence. When he has had enough of Millie hanging from his chops he will let her know. Only twice has he made her yelp and that was through fright. We supervised them all the time at first but now I can leave them downstairs when I am working upstairs.

Suzanne is right, a tired dog is a good dog and a crate is a godsend. I hadnt ever used one before but I will definately do so again! Puppy is safe and the older dog is given a bit of peace. Also you dont need to worry about pup chewing your electrics or whatever!

Good luck

Lisa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: