Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
biting older dogs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxxy&Kirstin&Oll
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: biting older dogs Reply with quote

We got a collie pup last sunday and he is 7 weeks old.

we also have a 1yr 4 month old parsons russell and they have got on well in the first few days but the pup is constantly trying to bite our parsons, we have tried giving him a wee chew toy or bone whenever he does this but he does not seem to stop, i know hes still young and will learn but is it just a case of keep doing that? or are there other things to try? its been a while since any of us had a puppy so its a bit different.

jack russell has been very patient, she wont growl or any biting, just a wee nudge every so ofter or she will mouth him but never hard.

any comments welcome

Thanks
Alan and Lynsey
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

i had the same worries, i have a 2 and a bit cocker called meg and a 7month cocker called bella and when we got bella i had the same issues, anybody that has seen meg knows she is very quite and keeps herself to herself, when we got bella at 10 weeks she loved meg from the word go and always tried to play with her, meg really could not be bothered with the pup, bella then would hang on to megs ears and when meg had enough she pinned bella.I always let then sort things out by themselves, i was always on hand in case on an emergency but it never came to me ever stepping in.

meg and bella get on really well and meg now plays with bella but there is still an order and when meg has had enough bella knows.

i personal would let them sort things out.

Alan, Lynsey, Meg, Peanut and new arrival Bella
Lisa/Colin
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got a new puppy last year and we had the same problem. Our Great Dane was so gentle and extremely tolerant of the Staffy pup that sometimes you wished he would just bark or growl at her to stop her throwing herself at him and biting mercilessly! I think you just have to let them get on with it. Your older dog will chastise the pup when she has had enough and the puppy needs that dog - dog telling off. I would only step in if you think it is getting out of hand.

Now the pup is 6 months and she still occaisionally launches herself at Hektor and bites his face. He'll take only so much of this before he growls or pins her down. Then she slinks off to her bed. They will settle down eventually

Lisa
Maxxy&Kirstin&Oll
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: biting Reply with quote

That's what we've been doing so far, and I just step in when it gets a bit too wild, I'm just worried about Maxxy getting hurt because he's so small and Ollie getting a really sore bite or maybe even getting a bit aggressive with him and hurt him. Ah well it seems like dogs will be dogs!

Thanks for the advice! Very Happy

John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will sort itself out......up till around 20 weeks or so puppies have a 'puppy pass' after that they will quietly be put in their place..........as long as neither are being hurt I would let them sort it themselves.

john
Maxxy&Kirstin&Oll
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again, i think he likes to do this at night and first thing in the morning when everyone is getting to sleep or getting up.

We tried a canine lulabies cd last night which kind of worked to settle him.

we got a cd after paying 160 for a 2 hour behaviour session with our jack russell that ended up being a waste of money as all we needed was dog training classes, however we always used the cd when we were going out and this seemed to work for her as she enjoyed listening to that.
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think most of it's just puppy play. My pup is 5 months now and still can b prone to getting bit ott with other dogs and nipping ears and wanting to lick faces constantly but once he's had a wee growl he backs off. He used to try it with our feet and legs too but thankfully he learned that humans don't want puppy play and has stopped!!
Like everyone said everything should sort out with time. The other dog will put him in place if nec.
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I AGREE WITH ALL THE PREVIOUS COMMENTS.................I DO FEEL MAXXY IS DOING WHAT EVERY PUPPY DOES AT THIS EARLY STAGE OF HIS LIFE AND TEWSTING THE BOUNDRIES............OLLIE WILL TAKE IT FOR SO LONG AND LIKE HIS LITTER MATES IF HE GOT TOO BOISTEROUS THEY WOULD SQUEAL AND HE WOULDN'T BACKED OFF.

I TOO WOULD BE INCLINED TO LET THEM SORT IT OUT THEMSELVES!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: