Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Laika has attitude....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Laika has attitude.... Reply with quote

Recently when Laika has been at the park she has been ignoring her recall commands when there are other dogs about. She is usually very good at coming back when called for and she is just having so much fun with the dogs she is playing with when she doesn't come back. However this can get frustrating as I have to walk half the length of the park to put her on her lead to get her away. Any advice? I have thought about a long lead but this seems like regression rather than progression, perhaps this is what is needed?

Looking forward to your advice.

Cheers

Keith
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use a long line......if she ignores you and you continue to call you are reinforcing that she does not HAVE to come to you, the line allows you to enforce the command.

In a perfect world you would never give the dog a command you cannot enforce.

john
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap.....that's the only problem we're having. He develops selective hearing!!! Guess it all takes time, practicing on long line as well as trying off lead, hopefully will get there but I think he finds the other dogs way more interesting than me. Unfortunately he always picks the dogs who dislike small bouncy puppies!!!
Keith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant I will get one of these just now. I can't blame her for wanting to play she has so much energy but she needs to come when asked. I had a feeling that I would be reinforcing this bad behaviour. She seems to be going through a testing phase as we have been ill. She is trying to be alpha puppy. Laughing

Cheers for the advice.

Keith Smile
Maxxy&Kirstin&Oll
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our dog ollie is the exact same and we have a 10metre long lead, its a bit of a pain in the bum but it does work, we just need to keep it up, better than running after her LOL! x
Suzanne H
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to reiterate what John says. The long line is key to this...takes a while to make it 100% reliable. Ours was fine in the garden, but once he was out, typical gundog he was more interested in other dogs and smells and you can't have them dictating this.

We gave two blasts on a whistle and if he didn't come back he was made to and given a reward for a good recall. Even if you have to go towards him, the line is nearer than he is and just reel him in, he was made to sit then finish.

We'd also just intermittently stand on it ...reminds them that they are not kings of the walk

We would also change direction and walk away from him and shout "this way" - knowing that he wouldn't like not being able to see us.

And every now and again do some sit and stays with him, again to reinforce that he's not master of the walk. Ours is now 99% controllable off the lead (the remaining 1% requires seeing the deer/sheep before he does because as much as he knows what to do, instinct is just screaming at him to go)

We didn't have to teach the puppy, he just did what the big dog did, and we tested it while he was on his own and he comes back. Result!
Keith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne thanks for the advice. I got a long line today and will be out practicing shortly I will follow your instructions and will improvise until I get a whistle. I assume it is just a leap of faith when to try her off lead again but hey I guess its all part of having a dog. Again thanks for the advice, I appreciate it but don't think Laika will. Wink

Cheers

Keith
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfie was in bad books today. I'm still letting him off mainly when it's quiet to avoid the other dog thing as it's easier to practice recall. Hes been pretty good when no other dogs around but today apparently the snow free patch full of rabbit poo to eat was way more interesting than anything I could do so had to go back on lead!!! He just completely ignores me when he's focused on something else. Even his squeaky toy couldnt even get him to turn his head. I don't want him to get away with not listening. Think I just expect him to be perfect at first try!!!!
Suzanne H
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick to places where they are safe and just keep practising and don't get mad when they do come back eventually, just smile and give them a clap and a treat.

Outside is just very interesting to a dog.

I always think that if you snap the lead back on them every time you see a dog, they learn to be anxious about other dogs because you are. The long line is handy for moving them on when they get to engrossed.

Otto wouldn't come back for any old treat either - cheese did the trick. And we'd throw it on the ground so he had to find it. Broke the thought away from whatever he was more interested in.

Doing some training while on the walk does help and if they are on a long line you can reinforce it....eg if he doesn't stay, just pull him back and start again until he does it.

I swear mine sigh when they're made to do it as if they're thinking "Yeah yeah, we know how to sit but can you just sod off so we can go a sniff rabbit pee."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: