Google Search
Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Donated to police GSD's die locked in car!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirsty
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am about to get controversial here!

I think this officer should be removed from the Dog handling section and never be allowed to own an animal again! (what a punishment to be removed from the job you love).

should he go to prison? should he be dismissed? I don't think so. .... What happened to these dogs was horrific and totally unacceptable and I broke my heart watching the story on the news.....but This was not an act of deliberate cruelty....like some of the cases we hear about.

After watching the 'bring in the dogs' programme last night it highlights how much these handlers love their dogs. Being in the dog branch is not the best option for many officers, their prospects for promotion or development is very limited, they do it because they want to do this kind of work with the dogs. One of our close friends has a few dogs and fosters the police dog puppies until they are a year old. Yuannee wanted to join the dog branch and seriously considered it but realised she would never progress and she is also fairly ambitious

This police handler will have to live with this.....just like owners who's dogs are run over through lack of thought on the owners part....(I again have a best friend who's shepherd was run over in the street because she got out of a faulty gate in the garden and the owner knew this was a hazard and should have taken care of it. His lack of care caused his dog to suffer horrific painful injuries which resulted in her being pts.) He struggles still with this and it happended 3 years ago. Should he go to jail?

This was a horrendous error in judgment with horrific consequences...but not something that the handler should be sent to jail for....jeez oh! we have teenagers terrorising and robbing old ladies who get community service!!!!
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Kirsty........this was not a deliberate act........not even a 'punishment' that went wrong.

A prison sentence would serve no purpose other than to show that the Police are not above the Law.

john
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
I agree Kirsty........this was not a deliberate act........not even a 'punishment' that went wrong.

A prison sentence would serve no purpose other than to show that the Police are not above the Law.

john

Sorry I disagree with you both on this VERY strongly. The point is John they should NOT be above the law, EVER, they are there to UPHOLD the law and that means their behaviour should be exemplary at ALL times.

It's VERY black and white to me. The dogs were left in a HOT car on the HOTTEST day of the year so far with NO air con, NO ventilation, NO water and just meters from their kennels for an excessive period of time. If Joe Bloggs had done that he would NOT get away with the line "but it wasn't a deliberate act of cruelty" he would be punished and rightly so. The Officer should be treated as a normal citizen would be and if that means prison, so be it. Though Kirsty I DO agree with your point as regards people not getting prison for what some would consider much more heinous crimes.

My sympathy is totally with the dogs who have lost their lives. My views are extreme, I make no apologies for them, but you CANNOT make exceptions as regards what does and does not qualify as Animal Cruelty/Neglect/Mistreatment! The dogs are dead because of a humans failings, something that could VERY EASILY have been avoided - their kennels were just meters away for goodness sake - that's all we need to know.
Lorna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should be given whatever the norm is for that criminal offense. it is unlikely that Joe Bloggs would get jail so the police person probably won't. just as long as it is equal justice that's what should happen,
I would not trust myself around the f-wit. I'm with Aristotle on this one - Ignorance and stupidity is not an excusing condition.
kirsty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Lorna....people are found guilty of awful acts of animal cruelty and get a pittance of a fine.

We are all human and all make mistakes...have lapses in concentration... thankfully not always with disastrous consequences. I came back from tesco a few weeks ago and was in the house for about 5 mins before lindsay said, where are the dogs....I had forgotten I had been walking them before I went to the shop and had come out the car and come in to the house and left them in the tailgait. When I went out they were sitting there happy as larry watching the world go round. That same week I lost a bit of works electronic equipment and it has had to be replaced. The same week my sister in law was going in for a cancer related op and I completely forgot and never even remembered for a fortnight then had to humbly apologise and send a huge bouquet of flowers...I was totally stressed out and had the concentration of a goldfish. (In the past I have actually tied my GSD up outside a local shop, came out, walked home and realised I have forgotton the dog)!

Pop stars kids fall out of high windows, kids die or are injured all the time because of a parents lapse in concentration and care...its life....tragic but reality.

This was a tragic accident, was not deliberate, and I actually have compassion for the officer concerned as I can think how I would feel if I had been responsible for this...It would haunt me forever and will probably haunt him.

Many dog owners loose their pets in incidences which could have been avoided with a bit more care and concentration and I feel sorry for all of them and am just thankful it has never been me.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point Jack was that rather than being treated as a normal citizen the Officer in question will likely be made an example of, having already been thrown out of the dog branch would prison be appropriate?

Would this officer ever do this again either with or without a prison sentence.

Unfortunately deliberate animal cruelty rarely ends in Court let alone Judges handing out appropriate sentences.

john
Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DO get your point John and I DO understand where you are coming from but I'm sorry this was NOT a momentary lapse of concentration or memory loss. The dogs were in that car on the hottest day of the year for HOURS, not a few minutes, not even "just" an hour but almost for an entire shift and NOONE, not the officer who left them there nor anyone passing thought to check them OR give them water. Unforgiveable.

I quite appreciate that the officer concerned may well be beating himself/herself up over this but that does NOT alter the FACT that both dogs are dead and both will have suffered terribly. I'm sorry but I am incredibly passionate about animal welfare and NOTHING matters more to me than my dogs. I cannot get my head around the fact that they suffered horribly and excessively, that they died BECAUSE they were not cared for adequately, being an EXPERIENCED handler the officer should ALWAYS have not only his own conduct in mind but ALSO the wellbeing of his partners, they were serving officers too in essence and SHOULD have been cared for properly. An accident is just that, an accident, it can happen in the blink of an eye but this was sustained neglect by any standard - imagine how the Police would be vilifying someone who had done this had it not been "one of their own".

I think we'd best agree to disagree. I think I'D best shut up about this because whilst I can find a modicum of sympathy for how this officer MAY be feeling NOW I can't feel that his behaviour, his neglect of his base duty to CARE for those dogs, is defensible. Sorry.
kendal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=152259009

kirsty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i posted earlier in the year I had not realised the extent of the neglect and have now changed my position. How can any dog owner leave their dog for seven hours...if nothing else the dogs would need the toilet. Shameful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: