Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Nibbling and kisses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russellfox

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Nibbling and kisses Reply with quote

Hiya,

Looking for some advise on how to find a happy medium.

Here are the problems.

We got Marley (a Lab) - very well natured dog, loves humans and other dogs, not a bad bone in his body. there is a but, he is an ex gun dog, so was used to living outside so now when he sees a human he constantly wants to be with them, wont leave us alone for 2 mins and all he wants to do is give us kisses....what can we do. I know its not the biggest dog problem in the world but i have nearly tripped over him loads now and there is only so much my arms can be liked in a day lol.

Since getting marley our other dog (diego - Bulldog/staffy x) has been behaving differently. Nothing to major its just he used to be so gently at taking food from out hand and although he has always been a bit mouthy he has never really nipped before. over all he is much calmer now he has a friend and the two of them get on great but i dont want Diego to continue the snatching.

Any advise you have would be appreciated.

thanks
Russell
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you just need to teach him that he doesn't need to spend every second at your side, does he have and toys like a kong that you can smear some cheese or something inside, so he has something to focus on that isn't you, either that or teach him that he doesn't need to make physical contact with you to feel loved.

as for Deago it might be the fact that he now has competition for your attention that her is wanting the treat quicker. just go back to basics and teach him not to snatch and he only gets the treat if he is gentle.

are the boys doing ok together in the house together.

Russellfox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kendal.

Yeah we have a Kong, and loads of Bones and chew toys, he is happy to chew away at this until we move. I really shouldn't be complaining, he is a great dog, he is getting better with the "away" command, this gives us some peace when we are on the couch lol.

As for Diego, i think you are right, i watched them last night when they were getting treats and Marley was pushing him out of the way to sit in front. I think once Marley is trained with his sits/lays and Stays then Diego will get better. Its good to see that Diego still stays when we tell him to even when Marley wont.

The two of them get on great, they are the best of friends. Spend most of there time chasing each other around the garden. Not had any problem, they will swap and share bones and toys. Diego is a wind up, he always wants what Marley has, but Marley isn't shy in telling him off if he doesn't want to play or share.
Gordon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore him when he is looking for attention. Teach him to go to his bed. The give him attention there. Once he goes to his bed on his own he can be called over to you for some attention.
That way there will be less chance of separation problems also.

He is a cracker of a dog. His retrieving of a dummy is great. Hope it all works out for you.
Russellfox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a good dog. he needs some basic training, he has walking pretty much down to a tee but sit and stay need ALOT of work.

Yeah he is good at fetch, I take it the Dummy was to train him to collect birds that are shot? he isnt to interested in fetching a ball, he will chase it but wont bring it back lol.
Gordon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the dummy is for teaching retrieve for Labs etc. The have a great memory for where it drops. You have to throw it in a high arc so he can see where it falls. You can buy a dummy from pets at home for £6. It can also be used to teach retrieve on water also, which they love.

Balls are best for breeds that like to chase, such as Collies etc. Then the ball is thrown low and fast to keep the movement going for the chase.

Use a light lead to keep him in position for a stay, then send away. Once repeated again and again he will catch on.

Good luck with him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: