Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
I'm begining to panic, please help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxxy&Kirstin&Oll
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: I'm begining to panic, please help! Reply with quote

We went to Grayhill and got Ollie and Maxxy their first raw foods, just minced beef and marrow bones, now my Mum and Dad are telling me that the animals that go to Grayhill are diseased and that's why they go there, now I'm panicking thinking is it true or not, now I'm worried I'll end up killing my dogs, I'm going into panic overdrive!! Please help me!
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try not to panic I would imagine that these places have Health and safety standards about animals that carry disease and testing and also what they accept. you can even ask the people of greyhills what their quality assurance procedure is. try not to panic dogs can take a variety of Bacteria a lot more than us this is not to say that diseased animals are ok to feed to your dogs but i would like to think they wouldn't use that produce
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a knackery, so it is animal not fit for human consumption that go here. Doesn't nec mean diseased. It's also animals over a certain age as well. But I used to help on farm and grayshill would come get the animals that couldn't go for slaughter. So did include diseased animals.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a look at the Landywoods bag and they say that the meat is not fit for human consumption dont know for sure but maybe they work on the same methods as grayhills
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you panicking? A dog has a completely different digestive system from humans.....that is why the can eat dead animals or horse crap and not get sick

If you want to see what is in the pet food on the supermarket shelf google 'what is in dog food'.

My dogs have eaten raw food for over 3 years and health wise it has been the best decision I ever made.

john
Lisa/Colin
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the meat is not for human consumption it will be ok for dogs. We fed all sorts of carnivores at Palacerigg and Edinburgh Zoo meat from Grayshill . Never got anything nasty from it in 12 years I was working there

Lisa
Janis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tend to agree with everyone ...... it is fine and i won't be worried about taking food from them for my dogs!

chill kirsten! Wink
charlene

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dad fed our german shepherd on raw for years and it was from grayshill......never any problems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to agree you have to read some research on what is contained in the normal dog food diet you will never look back.
kirsty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do folks think goes into dog meat.....food fit for human consumption?

I fed my last shepherd from grayshill. They used to sell huge chunks of boiled meat in those days and she lasted till she was 13 and was in good health.

I was happier with landywoods as the food, although not processed as fit for human consumption, was actually sourced as fit for human consumption and I felt relieved that it was meat which if processed differently could have been eaten by humans.

However, I would rather use Grayshill than buy them commercial dog food. I will ask Grayhill what they do with there waste material and would not be surprised if it goes to pet food manufacturers.

TRIPE...don't know if any of you bought the bags of tripe!!!! I did and think I ended up with the whole animals stomach lining to cut up...gruesome task, however, great value for money. The dogs love it. I am mixing it with beef chunks
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feed chunked tripe......the dogs love it Smile From Grayshill it is £3 for 5KG

john
charlene

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh god john dont mention the T word Laughing i cant stand the smell of tripe......even tho tina loves it lol
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never fed my dogs tinned meat, i know its full of crap and i'm not stupid to worry, i only worried coz i've been a vegetarian for years and have a phobia of meat so therefore i know nothing about it, i've already taken a big step to give them raw food, i just thought the meat smelled rancid and because its unfit for human consumption i didnt know how it would affect the dogs.
kendal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure no one is trying to call you stupid. i think some of us just forget we that we were in the same position when we started. i understand that it is a really big step for a veggie to switch to raw.

i cant personally comment on the quality of the meet my self as we hadn't planned to need more food till April. but you are perfectly right to be thinking about you pets health. what have Ollie and Maxxy thought of it so far.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: