Google Search
Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
New to raw feeding lark - suggestions needed lol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amanda Gillespie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: New to raw feeding lark - suggestions needed lol. Reply with quote

So, Max seems to be taking to the raw food a treat, which I am pleased about. People have noticed a distinct change in him (not as excitable etc) and his coat is looking much better too. I had him at the vet's today and he said that I should be careful not to give him too much cos he is just a nice weight so now I'm wondering if you could tell me how much and what you feed your dogs. Do you give veg with the meat? Raw or cooked veg? Max had a pork chop diced up with some raw turnip for lunch and wolfed the lot. I know with him being part labrador he is inclined to eat and eat and I don't want to over-feed him. Tonight it will probably be about 200g of mince with some more veg raw. He seems a more content dog just in the last week since the switch to raw food so will def be continuing. Guess now I will be hunting for a cheap freezer and buying in bulk lol x
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of mine eat raw mince, a bone whenever Ive got them, chicken wings, lamp chops with the bone cut out it, tuna cake and liver cake as a treat and thats all.

Occasionaly give them a drop of coat oil in their dinner as both mine cast really bad and im allergic to animals *sigh*

Muffin has been on it now for around 2 or 3 months and her weight hasnt budged at all. Im actually trying to get her to put on weight but its not happening! I dont bother with veg or rice or anything as they both seem to be going fine on just meat.

Split my meat into pound bags and muffin (13.6 kg) gets around 3/4 and Totts (5.2kg) gets around a 1/4.

Hope this helps Smile I would just feed him whatever your comfortable feeding him
Amanda Gillespie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that!! Max weighed in today at 28.6kg so quite a bit more than your dogs lol. I know he probably doesn't really need veg in his diet but he loves it.
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol just a tad.

Muffin actually turns her nose up at vegetables. I think i tricked her once but she doesnt get fooled twice. Muffin turns her nose up to most foods initially though. But she likes dry pasta for some unkown reason. I think its quite common for dogs on raw to get feed veg along side. I just dont bother, theyre lucky if i remember to defrost the meat never mind prepare vegetables lol
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its meant to be 3% of their ideal body weight that you feed. but i just tend to go by how they feel. Gypsy has always been very skinny that has never changed. where as the other two put on weight easier. i recently had been feeding them more than normal because we had changed supplier i was making up the bags of meat myself and i was doing it by eye instead of weighing them.

but have now got it sorted they get 300g each(ether heart and mince or tripe) along with chicken wings and egg shells and a cod liver oil tablet. they might sometimes get some cooked chicken if its leftovers but not so much. you tend to find that most dogs don't digest the veg it comes out the same way it went in. then they also get marrow bones sometimes, they haven't had ribs for a while but will get them ribs at some point.

I'm starting to give gypsy some goats milk in the morning to see if it will give her a wee bit of fat on her but i wont hold my breath.

Maxxy&Kirstin&Oll
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig and I tried our two - Ollie and Maxxy on raw feed but for us we didn't see any good changes for them, they lost a lot of weight even though they were both getting about a pound a day of meat and they only weighed 6kilos each, I've put them back on a mixed diet or a good complete food and regularly feed them fruit and veg. With both of us being vegetarian we found it difficult to keep up its bad enough having frozen mice in the freezer for Monty our snake but blood everywhere and the rancid smell was too much, we tried but they maybe just didn't take to it. I know most people find it to be very beneficial for their dogs. X
kendal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lad your two are doing well, some dogs just don't take to raw. you do tend to find that their weight will change, they will either put on and you need to reduce what you feed them or they loose weight and you need to up their feed till you get the right balance. its always hit and miss when you start out. you always question yourself.

Kirstin, what fruit and veg do you feed them. as most dogs i know just pass fruit veg like carrots and apples completely undigested. my lot don't show that much interest in veg. though when Gypsy was a pup she loved eating apples.

John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His weight sounds about right for a lab...........if he looks thin feed more.......to heavy then cut back a little, use your own judgment.

john
Amanda Gillespie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it would be more difficult raw feeding bearing in mind both me and my husband are vegetarians but its not been any bother really. We are veggies for health reasons - we aren't anti-meat iykwim so having it in the house and dealing with it is fine. I thought Max was slightly underweight cos I can see his ribs but I'm happy now that he is just right. He wolfed down a quarter kilo of stew this morning and is now having a sleep lol x
Margaret

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucy also loves her veg, though its always cooked and never raw (I remember seeing somewhere dogs can't digest the fiber unless cooked or pulped). The one exception is lettuce which she loves. I only see the occasional pea passed through, otherwise she seems to be digesting it all. I find if I don't give her veg regularly she seems to be more inclined to eat plants and grass etc. and I've had to move my herbs out of reach in the garden. She also likes some fruit, her favourite are tangerines! Probably just a greedy pig - there's very little she won't eat, particularly if she sees me eating it!
kendal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was told by someone that horse and rabbit poo is actually good for your dog as it is a good source of predigested veg. this person used to be a holistic vet nurse.

Margaret

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about dog poo? Why are some dogs attracted to this - are they missing something in their diet?
kendal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
What about dog poo? Why are some dogs attracted to this - are they missing something in their diet?
thats the general theory, but some dogs just do it out of habit. i dont think anyone has the complete answers for it. but its not a good thing as far as im aware.

Trace
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD went through a faze of eating his poo, however, he hasn't done it since I changed his diet.

I don't do the completely raw coz it makes me puke_r puke_l but I buy cheap mince from tesco and minced lamb and cook it slightly and mix with cooked veg.

trace
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: