Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
New Puppy??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anna
Site Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: New Puppy?? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've been on here but Tilly, my westie is now 2 and a half years old, shes a wee stubborn thing but has the best nature and has turned into a wonderful dog Smile

When we went to the groomers with her (also the place where we got her) there were some puppies and we may have fallen in love with one. As much as we want another dog it is a big decision and I was hoping for some opinions. Now that I have a job the only person who is in during the day is my brother (anti-dog most of the time) but my dad works close enough to come and let Tilly out during lunch. We are hoping that this new pup could be a companion to little Tilly and keep each other company during working hours.

I don't really know what else to add but some opinions would be great Smile Thanks x
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only know yourself whether it’s right for you 

I spent months looking for a second dog and everyone I knew advised I shouldn’t get one, but it has turned out to be the best decision I have ever made. It has made my life much easier having a second dog and has made Muffin (my other/original dog) a happy and healthier dog-only because she has severe separation anxiety so a little friend has helped her immensely. But we found the perfect dog for us and it took a lot of hunting and a lot of heartbreak with other dogs which I considered. I’m so glad I held off for Totts and didn’t rush into the other dogs and breeds which I thought I wanted and a few of them I would have bought in different circumstances. They wouldn’t have been nearly as good for us as little Totties. I was actually on my way to buy another dog (mini schnauzer one of my preferred breeds) before the breeder turned to be shall we say a not very nice person. Now when I look at a picture of the dog I was going to get and I look at Totts, I’m so glad it never turned out the way I wanted at the time.

All Id say is make sure its right for the whole family, nothing worse than someone begrudging the dog before it’s even came into the household. And make sure you have the time for two dogs one of which going back to a puppy. And don’t rush it, if a second dog is right for you it will just happen it may be this little pup or it may be another that comes by, you’ll just know yourself when the time comes.

Good luck Very Happy
(sorry for yet another essay im going to make an effort to stop babbling from now on lol)
Anna
Site Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the little pup we accidentally found absolutely loves us, never had a pup take to us so quickly, she has a wee waggy tail and likes to try and lick your face and hands and is very loving. We put her next to Tilly to see how they reacted and Tilly didn't really care until the pup started looking for milk! Now that was a funny sight.

I called the breeder and me and my mum will be going to see the pup again tonight and hopefully make a final decision.

The only worry is my dad as he sometimes takes Tilly to the office and says he wont be taking her if there are two of them but then again he once said he would never take a dog to the office at all and now it is doggy friendly.

Very difficult decision Confused
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i say you only know yourself if their right for you Smile could be the first you come across could be the millionth. For us it happened to be the 6th dog i properly looked into

he probably would come round, i imagine then.. I had a similar problem with my parent where i wouldnt be allowed to move back home with two dogs. Parents have only ever believed in a one dog only house hold, i now own two, they own one themself and they say theyd be fine if i moved back home with both of them so we would be a 3 dog household! lol

best of luck and if you do get her please post some pics for us all to "aww" at lol

laura
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you on the site again Anna..........oh puppies are so cute.......

I don't think 2 dogs are much more work than 1. The new dog usually learns from the older one so training is usually easier.

It is difficult to say no when you see a cute puppy.

john
Anna
Site Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the problem me and mum are having, I mean if the pup rejected us then we wouldn't have to be making this decision but the wee pup LOVED us, she was all over us and wagging her tail and all sorts, we couldn't help but fall in love.

The breeder loves her too and says if we don't take her he is going to keep her and use her for breeding and also said if things didn't work out then he would take her back and give us our money back. So we have a few options
Lisa/Colin
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After we lost Ollie I thought that I would only ever have one dog at a time. Hektor has been such a handful I didnt think we would be able to successfully bring another dog into the house. He and Ollie clashed a few times resulting in fights and quite a lot of stress for me!

However I was persuaded to get Millie and it has worked out great. She is supposed to be Colins dog but the reality is I do about 90% of the work. Because I have to walk them separately cos Hek is such an idiot with other dogs it does take a lot of time out of my day. But they get on brilliantly, she always backs down if there is a disagreement - long may that continue!

Your breeder sounds really good, if they are prepared to take her back if it doesnt work out, but I am sure it will! I think if you can manage it and your Dad is happy to come home at lunchtime (I did that for years before I worked from home) it would be great company for Tilly.

Only downside is double vet fees, food bills and kennel fees if you have to go away! Smile

Looking forward to seeing some pics!

Lisa
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the circumstances r right and u've fallen in love with pup then sounds great. Hopefully ur family will help out!! Make sure u get some pics for us!!!

I'd love to get another dog. I'm sure alfie would love a wee friend although he is a bit of a spoiled pup just now so maybe not!!! Unfortunately although my dad keeps him more now he's retired, alf still comes I'm to work with me a couple of days a wk and although they tolerate that, I think 2 dogs is bit much!! I'm hoping I'll b able to get another a few yrs down the line. Alf can still b a bit of a handful at times (ie running away or now just refusing to walk cos it's warm!!) so maybe not a bad thing!!!
Anna
Site Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa ever since we got Tilly we only go on dog friendly holidays Smile My mum doesn't like to fly so we always go somewhere in the UK where we can take Tills, trying to get her in a kennel is like pulling a piano on a lead Laughing

The double vet bills and food bills don't bother us since my mum and I will be splitting the cost between us and we will never have to buy toys ever again since Tilly has a mountain of them.....she's a tad spoiled.

The bad thing is the double the barking, can I hack that? yes I can, but can my mum? hmm Laughing
Anna
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, picking up the puppy on Saturday! Lets just hope Tilly accepts the wee pup.

We think we'll name her either Katie or Rosie but we are open to suggestions!!
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds lovely and i am sure tilly will be fine. i would suggest though you introduce them in a neutral area be it the garden or somewhere that is not tilly's pad!

look forward to seeing the pics of them!
Anna
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're introducing them at the kennels and will slowly move it into the car, then the garden and then the house
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: