Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
New and finding it hard to find my feet with my new addition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss_C

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: New and finding it hard to find my feet with my new addition Reply with quote

Hiya, just introducing myself. My hubby, daughter and I got ourselves an English Springer Spaniel named Daisy who is just 10 weeks and we are finding things very difficult already. She won't sleep in her crate at night and cries for hours on end and only seems to want to be with my hubby and no-one else, even crying when he leaves the room!

We are looking to take her to the training classes, oh and on that note when we go for our wee visit this Sunday should we bring Daisy with us or go alone?

Hopefully the training classes will help but please tell me it gets easier!

Frazzled
Sarah Sad
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi frazzled sarah and welcome i am sure daisy is a dream and she will settle....and on that note welcome to puppyhood! Laughing

along with my daughter we have 4 cockapoos.....cross cocker spaniel and poodles.....gypsy, inca, echo and delta who is ccoming on for 18 weeks!

every puppy is different so don't think that daisy is awkward. i am going to assume that you have not had a puppy before!

perseverance and routine is a good way to start. as for the bedtime routine a lot of puppies will put up an almighty noisy fight to get your attention and you may finally get up and let her out of the crate just for peace......DON'T!!!!! from the first time you do she has learned very quickly that the more noise she makes she gets what she wants!

have you tried popping a blanket over the crate and darkening it?

also pop her in the crate during the day for short periods.....while you do the dishes or pop to the loo whatever. but only let her out when she is quiet and increase the time she spends in it. my lot love their crate and i leave the door open during the day and they choose to go there by themselves.

possibly pop in something of your hubby's if she is more attached to him.....like an old jumper he has worn as it will have his scent and may help her settle.

there are lots of things to do and i will let others give you some advice, as for sunday it is up to yourself whether you come with or without daisy.....my 3 youngest have been to class since 8 weeks and bfore their second jag as i know the dogs that attend are all vaccinated so it's your choice.

look forward to meeting you all and try not to stress it will all work out. ask as many questions as you like there will be always someone to give a bit of advice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: