Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
1st Raw feed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey's mum
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: 1st Raw feed Reply with quote

Huey had his first raw dinner tonight. He scoffed the lot as i knew he would! I paid my first visit to grayshill this morning and left with two binbags full. Fingers crossed the success will continue.

Frankie
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol wait till you get him a bone fom them lol and my lot just love chicken wings.

alice and susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

That's great , he will love it and you will see a difference in his behavior ....not to mention how much money it will save you..

Have a great Christmas and new year ,...

Alice,Susan and Tia

Gareth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity why have you switched to a RAW diet, what was he on before? What sort of changes to his behaviour might happen to him?
Huey's mum
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I switched to the raw diet was i was about to change him from puppy dried kibble to adult anyway, however the more i looked i just couldn't find a brand that i was all that happy with. The ingredients list were horrific to be honest. I really should have changed him long before now but stuck with what the breeder gave me.

the more research i did the more the raw diet seemed the best option. initially i was worried that i would cost alot more as Huey will probably reach about 50KG's when fully grown, however it appears to be much cheaper.

From what I've read the biggest thing for me is the reduction in allergies with dogs on the raw diet. So many of my friend's dogs have allergies that i believe are diet related yet they spend half their life at the vets getting allergy jags. Also if I'm being honest the reduction in the amount of gas the dog passes. I'm all for something that can stop Huey clearing a room Laughing

so far so good, he loves it and bounces about like a spring lamb when he's about to be fed.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many but by no means all dogs react with the myriad of additives in commercial dog food........some are to increase shelf life, some are simply fillers to increase the bulk of what you buy and some are flavours/colours in an attempt to make the food palatable.

Dog behaviour tends to be calmer when there are fed a healthy diet........same as humans!

Have a search on the forum and the net.......read as much as you can and make up your own mind.

I would not feed my dogs commercial dog food.

John
Teresa
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frankie - can you just go to Grayshill or do you need to make arrangements?
Glad Huey is enjoying his new diet Smile
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just go in.....drive to the far right of the yard.

Be warned that it is an abattoir so you you will see dead animals.

John
Teresa
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Thanks for that, John. My OH was a biology teacher and I remember waiting for him outside the abbatoir while he plucked out the eyes from dead cows for a lesson. I made sure I didn't see them before he put them in the car. He once tried to store them in my fridge though Shocked but I can tell you it only happened once!!! Yuck. Not my thing at all, but I could probably cope with dead animals - I hope. Just had a thought - I will send him in and I will stay in the car. lol.
Janis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we feed our 4 on raw and i wish i had done it years ago for my other dogs. my dogs just love it and like john i wouldn't ever go back to commercial.....during the real bad weather i was running low and refused to feed them just any dog food so just bought raw mince from asda frozen to keep them going...... so i was back at the abattoir today to stock up!
Teresa
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am for it, but I have to convince my vegetarian daughter of the benefits. I am not sure if she would be able to handle it (literally) It takes her to have a pocketfull of liver cake for treats on walks. Anyway, whatever happens, I am going to try him on chicken wing first just to see if he is interested. He is a strange eater - every time I give him a chew he seems not to know what to do with it - he usually buries it down the side pf the armchair Confused
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My partner and her daughter are vegetarian.......the dogs are not Laughing

John
Maxxy&Kirstin&Oll
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teresa, my partner and I are both vegetarians and we tried the raw diet but we struggled with it especially me because i strongly believe in not killing any animals, BUT i do believe that it is the best diet out there for them but i couldn't go to the abattoir because of the dead animals it really upset me. So we've put them on the next best thing James Wellbeloved complete food and I've seen a great difference in both my dogs compared to commercial tinned food and cheap complete, i was advised by a pet nutritionist that raw is best but if you don't want that option the next thing is dry compete and always check that it has at least 20% meat and not derivatives, pork or beef (she advised me these are fatty and apparently unhealthy for dogs the best meats are supposed to be poultry and fish). Also that it states has at what cereals are in it. The better quality ones will all contain ingredients that you know and are kept to a minimum as in not a huge list of ingredients that u haven't a scooby what they are!

Hope this helps and remember this is my opinion its upto you know! Smile
Teresa
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Maxxi and Kirstin. - it is very helpful to get other people's views and experience. I haven't sat down and discussed it with my daughter yet. I know she would be uncomfortable with raw, to say the least, but she might agree because of what is best for the dog. It is good to know of some alternatives should it not work out.
Much appreciated.
Janis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i ask theresa what difference it would make to your daughter what teddy is fed on.......if i am right he is your granddaughters dog but lives with you!

she wouldn't have to deal with it...... and if you're ok with it then try him on it.....the other thing is if you give it to him partially frozen it's not as messy or oh I swore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Feeding & Nutrition All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: