Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Hi Everyone & A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS ONE & ALL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Hi Everyone & A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS ONE & ALL Reply with quote

Just wanted to swing by and say hi to everyone and say that I hope you are ALL keeping well and enjoying the festivities Smile

LOADS has happened since I have last been online. Since joining FaceBook I have become (as many of you will know) ever more deeply involved in Rescue work. Initially "just" by crossposting those in need, learning more and more about Rescue's and those I trust and wish to help/work with and those I would rather avoid (sadly many of those exist)
From that I developed a friendship and mutual respect with Chris of Staffordshire Bull Terrier Rescue Wisbech and have done handovers, dog assessments, home assessments and some dog training for her.

One night, when I was actually in the West Midlands for a family wedding I got a call asking if I could do emergency foster and rehabilitation for a dog in grave need (having first been approved by the board of trustees). Naturally I accepted but said I couldn't do anything til I got back home. That was Saturday 2nd October. On Sunday 3rd October Daisy came into my life. I was appalled and disgusted at the state of her physically she was severely undernourished. Mentally she was completely broken. We shared a hug and she began to tell me her life story with whines and heartbreaking howls and gruffs.
On getting her home I discovered she had a serious case of fear aggression wanting to kill each and every furry thing that she saw. She had severe separation anxiety howling if I so much as disappeared out of her line of vision - even to just lie down in bed or the bath. She wanted nothing to do with toys or anything other than me really.
Mark was working away so her training and keeping everyone safe fell to me alone throughout the week. It was exhausting. As I succeeded in dealing with one set of undesirable behaviour another would present itself. On 7th October my car was written off by some idiot crashing into me - on the day I had taken Daisy to the vets to be vaxxed, microchipped and speyed for her rescue. Chris has been an amazing support throughout sending everything I needed and being just the other end of the phone to talk whenever I needed that too, checking all the time to make sure everything was OK and that we could continue to help Daisy as time passed never once taking anything for granted - she has been amazing!
NO suitable home came forward for Daisy - oh people were interested but because of her specific issues none were suitable. At this stage she was assessed (by myself and Chris) as being unsuitable for homing with young children given her propensity to jump up and "mouth". She was also assessed as being unsuitable to home with ANY other animal given that she wanted to kill anything and everything in her vicinity other than humans. I continued to work hard at every opportunity to safely integrate her in our home (she was already deep in our hearts).
The weeks passed and no suitable home came up then it was all kinda put on hold as SBT Rescue do not rehome in December given people's propensity to buy pets as Christmas gifts then discard them when the novelty wears off. I reassured Chris it was fine. Daisy was doing good and was welcome here as long as she needed us.......then it happened. Daisy just gave it ALL up. Bonded with my entire pack. Chose Ella, my Alpha as her idol and started following her everywhere. Chose Rosie as her playmate and bugged the bl00dy life out of her. Started sniffing and licking the cats as opposed to trying to bite them at any opportunity. ALL of the time and training I had invested in her started to pay off.
From a devil dog in TINY form she became part of the pack, settled snuggly into her slot and showed me just how much me and my balanced pack had helped her achieve balance and happiness, she showed me just how much she NEEDS us and NEEDS to be part of a pack to continue to develop and remain happy and so that was it. I was gone ....she wouldn't be. As of today Daisy is now officially a member of our pack, she's adopted and here to stay, to live out her days with only love and happiness being allowed Cool I remain strict and watchful but she has turned into a sweet, happy little puppy who LOVES life and her home.

Despite all of the shouting when she wouldn't do as she was told lol, all of the caution, all o the training, all of the exhaustion this has been one of the best journeys of my life I have LOVED it and would do it all over again!

So that's you guys all updated with what I've been up to - I'll try and catch up on all of your news too - just give me a little time as I know I have missed lots Wink

Hope you are all well, that your furbabies are doing you proud and that you have a wonderful Christmas & New Year. Much love from me and the extended Gang XxX
Janis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wav yeeeeaaaaahhhhhh! i had no doubt from reading this at the start that your determination would pay off on daisy!

oh and merry christmas jack!....sounds like you've been a very busy bunny as an ambassador in re-homing and rescuing these much under loved pooches!

so sorry to hear about your car and as my much as it's pain it is only a vehicle and not a life be it human or dog form!

great to hear from you and you are accomplishing lots. take care and keep up the good work! xxxx
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Janis - that's very kind of you Smile Razz Razz Razz

It's been awhile since I tried this but I'm going to attempt to pop my favourite picture to date of the gang on here for you to meet the extended pack Wink Just focus on the dogs - ignore me in it - I look minging - in my dodgy doggy scruffs, the picture is poor quality but I want to share it anyway as it epitomises all we have achieved here Razz

lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwww...love love LOVE the pic. They all look great. Nice to hear she's settled in so well!! Knew u'd never have given her up tho!

Hope they all got spoiled yesterday.

It's also nice to put a face to a name :p
Janis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorgeous jack!!!!! they all look so comfortable round their pack leader..... and what a leader! Wink
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lesley Very Happy AWFUL picture of me but I ALWAYS look scruffy when with the gang - they don't care lol and I don't like having to think about them ruining clothes - I'd rather be scruffy and rolling round the floor with them than dressed in gladrags and having to brush them off Wink

Janis - thank you so much - no choice but to step up and be a strong leader or it would have been carnage here lol Wink XxX

PS........I see mention somewhere that YOU have a new baby too - congratulations!!! Kiss the newbie for me and all of the others of course!!!
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you post again Jack Smile

Sounds like you and Mark have been keeping yourselves REALLY busy!

Merry Xmas and a Happy Prosperous New Year.

john
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John Razz
Yep we've been busy - since getting Daisy there was a time I even had to schedule sleep into my list of things to do. Thankfully now she is very much part of the pack everything is so much easier Cool She's a precious little girl, very sweet and loving - a real pleasure to have around. The person I collected her from (a 3rd party) has since been to see her and said he couldn't believe the change in her - that was about a month ago - he'd be astounded to see her now and how well she has fitted in and how much she has improved. It's a great buzz seeing the difference you have made to a poor broken soul - I'll upload a few more pictures soon for you to see Smile

And I am SO with you - apart from Daisy I will be glad to see the back of 2010 and HOPE that 2011 will be MUCH easier and happier for all.xxxxxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: