Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Jumping on furniture and woofing at cats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Jumping on furniture and woofing at cats Reply with quote

Our Dexter likes to jump up on the couch and we're not sure whether to ignore him for his bad behaviour or to remove him? We've so far tried pushing him off (hes a bit of a biter so we end up with sore hands), ignoring him (he jus settles down) and throwing toys to get him off but he tends to then just bring the toy back!

We've also got an issue with our cats. We have two and whenever he sees them he'll approach. If they're up high he'll bark and this turns into a big hissing match! It makes having them in the same room very noisy and a bit stressful!!

Any advice?
Cat
Alan and Lynsey
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

when we first got meg her previous owner let her on the couch all the time, the first thing i worked on was breaking this issue. anytime meg jumped on the couch i would tell her in a strong voice OFF, don't use down if you use down as your lie down command. if she never moved i would stand up and tell her OFF again. the next trick is to watch for them going to jump up on the couch, i would watch meg and when i seen her going to jump up i would say NO!! using in a forceful voice again. they will eventually learn

everybody has different ways to deal with there issues, this was mine.

i also have a cat called peanut but she is the boss of the dogs so i never had an issue. if he barks try and remove his attention from the situation.

Alan, Lynsey, Meg, Peanut and new arrival Bella
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I shall give it a try!
Cat
Helen & Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: couch and cat problems Reply with quote

Hi Cat, David and Dexter,

We have the same habits with Akira, best advise is to keep removing him when he jumps up telling him no, if you catch him trying to jump up block him and say no at the same time. Akira is sneaky and uses every opportunity possible to get up on the couch despite having a big comfy bed, they are just pups pushing the boundaries/limits.

Our cat Abi has no fear of dogs as she is used to my other 3 dogs who stay with me part time (long story). We introduced them gradually, we would sit abi on our lap and have akira sitting at the other end of the room (being held at first), once she started to calm down and relax she was allowed a bit closer, any excitable behaviour she was told no and if nescessary removed for a short period of time. It will take time and we are still getting akira used to the cat however abi is not slow in showing her who's the boss. We still do get some hissing and spitting but they are sorting it out for themselves.

Hope this is of some help, nice meeting you at training

Helen
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started with great intentions......then gave up and now alfie spends half his day snoozing on the couch. oops! Embarassed Embarassed He does get off when i tell him and he doesnt bring toys or chews up on the couch but i do quite enjoy my little hot water bottle lying on my feet when its cold!!

what everyone is saying sounds right tho. it will just take time and everyone doing the same thing and being consistent. he will eventually get the message.

Alfies recently started begging really bad for food and trying to get to my plate if im eating at the couch....then i caught my dad feeding him from the table one day so no surprises why he started begging. it definitely needs everyone doing the same thing. (the begging issue only took about a week to get him back to how he used to be of just lying in his bed when i'm eating now im making sure everyone does this)
Huey's mum
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huey was exactly the same with the couch, worktops and people....... and so on .The thing that worked for us was putting his little puppy lead on at night and cut the handle end off so it couldn't get caught on things. it meant we could pull him off and correct him without giving him the carry-on attention he was looking for.

If we tried to pull him off by the collar he would turn round and bite our hands like a big game......i'm scarred for life!! hehe

It will settle down like all their crazy puppy behaviour. Huey is now 9months he still tries his luck but generally as soon as i make a move to get up and move him he jumps off on his own. he now tries every cute trick in the book to make me let him stay there, resting his head on my knee with the cute puppy eyes or the little squirrel wave with his two paws......U MUST RESIST!! Huey's over 7 stone it hurts! Dexter will end up big too.
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and support.

Dexter will respond to "off" if theres a treat in it for him! If he doesn't see the pouch he won't move!!! He definitely knows exactly what he is doing and chooses to ignore!! We've been blocking him whenever possible too so that prevents him sometimes.

I will try the tip with the puppy lead! Sounds promising.

Thanks
Cat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: