Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Big Biting Problem!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Big Biting Problem! Reply with quote

Our cute fluffy GSD Dexter is now over 3 stone at 18 weeks and he is still not getting the message that biting is unacceptable.

Last night he bit David's arm very badly and bites to draw blood. We have to get changed immediately upon coming into the house as he hangs onto clothing til it rips.

Despite this he is a nice wee pup. These episodes come about twice a day for 20 minutes each but other than that he is really affectionate and just wants to play. He loves kids and when I fell and fractured my elbow earlier in the month he waited beside me. He seems to be smart enough to know when and how he should behave.

We have tried the yelp and ignore or yelp and walk away. It just does not help! During the ignore technique he has never once stopped. When he was smaller and not so vicious we lasted a lot longer but now he is stronger we just cant. When we ignore him we'll continue to be bitten and it always results in another rip in the clothes, scratches, bruises on the leg and, with increasing frequency, blood. He always ends up on a "time out" in his bed til he calms down (we've kept his cage a positive and calming place to be and once there he responds very well and calms quite quickly). This is really problematic when we are visiting family or friends as obviously there is no cage there. He usually ends up shut in the toilet!!

We've been to the vet to ensure there is no underlying medical issues causing this and she has confirmed there is not. She suggested a special collar but we're a bit reluctant to spend £100 when he hasn't responded to our own water spray.

Any advice is welcome! We're really at the end of our tether with this issue!!!

Thanks
Cat and David
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When does it usually occur? We have always done the yelp turn away approach which has worked effectively until Amber was taught again to play bite

I would make your intentions even more clear. For example if it occurs when coming in the front door create a "place" point (somewhere the dog has to sit to allow anyone to come in the door-even a carpet/rug/mat), the person does not come in until the dog remains sitting calmly on their place (we're teaching Amber this at the moment as even though she is now 1 she can still get so excited she goes toilet, she does a mini tap dance now on her place mat but its better than swirling herself round peoples feet peeing lol) This means he cant grab onto your clothes when you come in before you can get control of the situation. I would teach him so when he hears the door bell he knows to go straight to his place in order for people to come in. As a reward for sitting well instead of biting on clothes play a game you find appropriate (fetch/tug/whatever you encourage your dog to do) Every time the dog gets up from the place point the person goes back out the door. No fun and games for the dog. After a few attempts the dog should crack onto this. More difficult to do this if no-one is already in the house.

I would redirect his energy into appropriate play, he sees it as a game, you need to teach him its ok to play with toys, not peoples arms. (easier said than done i suppose Smile)

Other people may come up with better suggestions but thats what im working on at the moment Very Happy
benLui

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our puppy went through the exact same phase and our breeder told us the only thing that works is to grab its scruff of the neck and shake the dog lightly and growl like a dog would(thus mimicking the mothers correction). Saying ouch etc means nothing to them and certainly didn't work in our case. We adopted this when his biting got too much although was careful not to hurt him and it seemed to work. At the time we felt angry/frustrated and thought we had made a mistake in getting a dog but as it passed, and it will, these thoughts soon disappear.
Huey's mum
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat and David

you've probably both gathered now that you are not alone. we had the same problem with Huey. i'm sure there are a few older posr from me on here from earlier in the year. there were times i thought i had an aggressive dog on my hands and that all those people were bonkers that said the Bernese mountain dogs were big gentle giants.

Huey was possesed by the devil from about 16weeks until 6 months. he had me in tears at least twice and bleeding constantly. Huey would stalk me like pray if i went outside into the back garden and then maul me. I've got a 3 inch scar on my hand to prove it! he was very dominant towards me, however it did turn out to be play. it did not feel like this at the time. i feel your pain. I showed your Post to my husband and he just looked and said that's Huey!

we tried the No command etc and the yelp. if i yelped in pain it actually made Huey MORE excited and he just went for it.

we also tried the water spray that worked for about 2 days then he would just eat it and look at me like 'bring it on'.

we had to persevere with the 'lead of shame' Huey had to wear it every night until he learned to behave himself. i also kept a handy canister of pet corrector within reach so that when he started i would give him a quick burst and the noise was enough to snap him out of the 'zone'. pet corrector is a red cannister of compressed air that hisses at them it's supposed to be like a natural warning noise like the kind of thing geese/ swans/ cats etc. we got it form pets at home. we would just use that coupled with the No command.

hope this helps

Frankie
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you for your messages of support. I really do think Dexter is the new Huey! Right now, as I type, he is on a time out for jumping on the couch just to chow down on my arm! There goes another t shirt...!

We have been very upset by his outbursts. Then guilty for feeling the way we do after he calms. When I've read a few things about Huey it has made us see that our problem is not isolated. Our Dexter is not possessed by the Devil!

We shall implement the "lead of shame" and purchase a corrector can. We shall persevere as the majority of the time he is a lovely big pup! These recent outbursts, though, are wearing us down considerably. It is reassuring to know that eventually he will calm a bit.

Cat and David
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short 'leash' left attached to his collar would let you control him without giving him the attention he is looking for.

At 18 weeks he will be teething so will have a sore mouth..........perhaps try giving him a frozen cloth or some ice cubes to sooth the pain?

as he goes through these 'mad' spells you could consider the use of a crate.

Rest assured this is just a puppy phase and not genuine aggression..........however this should bet stamped out before he realises that he can control his environment using his strength.

john
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: