Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
season or no season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helen & Andy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: season or no season Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Hard to believe it, but that's Akira 6 months already and we're going to get her spayed. However our vet has told us she doesn't have to go through a season before she's spayed. (I always thought it was necessary).

Just wondering what other peoples opinions and experiences are on the subject, my other dogs are all done however they were adults when they went through the operations, so the whole puppy thing is a new experience.

Any ideas are appreciated
Thanks
Helen, Andy & Akira
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think i spoke to you about this at class.....i have had all 4 of mine spayed before their season and in general 5 and a half months. my last 2 dogs which i had over 25 years ago i let them hav a season and then had them spayed.....at that time i was told that i would need to watch out for mammary cancer which my two died of but at the age of 12 so not at an early stage of their life. having made the decision to spay them earlier only time will tell if my 4 suffer this.

personally i think it is a personal choice and what suits you and your conscience and your family circumstance.....some folk find it easy to deal with a bitch in heat spotting about the house and unwanted attention for every male dog in the vicinity! you will do what you think is right.
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think with a bitch for medical and hormonal reasons i would have no problem spaying before their first season. Different vets have different opinions so you always call another vet to get professional opinions then decide for yourself what is most important.

Nothing worse than seeing a bitch in phantom, im unlucky in that the first intact bitch Ive owned had a lot of hormonal issues with seasons, heres hoping now shes had the op this will stop. But as far as Im aware they are less likely to suffer from phantom pregnancies if they get spayed before their first season. The difficult thing if they do suffer from phantom pregnancies is it can be impossible to find a safe operating time between phantoms and seasons. 6 weeks with a hormonal wreck of a dog every 5 months was not fun to watch I can tell you. Better to avoid it if possible when not intending to breed.

I think its a different story with dogs. I would wait until they're mature, if I chose to give him the snip at all.
Helen & Andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. Phoned another vet and done some additional research on the internet.
It looks as if she is better getting done before her first season. I'll phone the vet and arrange for her to get done asap, just feel guilty about the actual operation, the morning my dog Dileas got castrated, I was in tears with guilt.Lol Thankfully he bounds about alot happier and none the wiser.
My mum's dog Foxy has had a few phantom pregnancies, after getting spayed she's not suffered any more. She was found abandoned, in poor condition and first thoughts was she was pregnant, however the vet confirmed she wasn't, It was phantom. Now she seems a happy healthy dog.
Thanks again for your comments, see you at class.

Helen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: