Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
advice please for kadey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elaine3011

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: advice please for kadey Reply with quote

hi everyone looking for some advice as i am probably over reacting, Kadey was bitten today on the face by another german shepherd. The thing I am panicking about is I have read so many times about dogs being bitten and then becoming aggressive themselves, so what should i do carry on as normal, stay away from that dog or something else?

thanks
elaine
Megan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: advice please for kadey Reply with quote

What exactly happened? Were both dogs offlead? Did the other dog actually puncture or leave a mark on her or is there no mark?

My advice would be just carry on as normal but most important don't avoid that dog.

If you know the other owner have a chat and see if you can go for an on-lead walk together, no eye contact between the dogs and no sniffing or playing etc just walking on-lead with each dog at a rough heel to their owners. If you don't know or can't trust the owner of this specific dog then find another gsd owner to go on a couple of walks with you.

From personal experience this is the best thing to do, My adult rottie was bitten twice(scrapped the fur off and a lil bit of blood but not an actual puncture) by a friends dog and both would then bark/growl at each other, So we met up took them a 30-40 min on-lead walk together and they are fine together no barking or growling etc
Where as we didn't/couldn't take him on walks with some other dogs that have bitten him and he will go off barking, growling etc at those specific dogs, aswell as ones that look similar and if a similar dog is in our class then it can take a couple of classes or a few months for him to settle and just ignore them in class.

So in my experience best thing to do is try and arrange a controlled walk with that dog and to just keep letting her meet friendly dogs, and also for you not to keep thinking about what happened today when you are out with her as she will pick up on it.

Hope this helps,
Megan
Elaine3011

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for replying both dogs where off lead, the other owner and myself were chatting for about ten minutes, the other dog was standing in front of me and Kadey was sitting at the side of me, Kadey stood up and the other dog just grabbed her face. She has a lump at the side of her eye and some hair missing. I understand these things can happen just want some advice on where to go from here.

Thanks
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this.

Was it a full on fight or just rough play?

The skin around the eye is very soft and marks easily......if there had been any real pressure in the bite it would have almost certainly broke the skin.

I would agree with Megans advice........carry on as normal and do not avoid dogs because of this.

john
Elaine3011

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

No they weren't playing Kadey was sitting and the other just standing. Not a full on fight Kadey stood up and the other dog just grabbed her face, Kadey was pulling away and crying then when the dog let go Kadey fell back onto the grass and just lay there. Was out this morning and meet two boxers who she had a play with so she seems ok.

Elaine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: